What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Inspired by another thread, there is also a long-standing myth relating to, ahem, 'geeks' and the love of alternative music.

Now, it isn't all white face paint and hiding in dark rooms. So come on boys, help me dispel the myth.

Right now, I'm listening to Rammstein :oops:

But in a minute I'm getting down to another 1,000 word writing sesh, and for that I have picked out Hans Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. I likes the organ music!

So, what are you listening to right now?

the last forum I started this in, the thread got to over seventy pages long...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Essential Millennium

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The sound of my keyboard as I input text for this thread. The soft hum of the fan inside my PC. Someone keyboarding in the cube next to me.

Actually, I haven't listened to music all day long. Too much to think about.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Arroryn

That's another quandry... do you find that the music is distracting, or have you just not thought about putting it on? Or have you been in an office, and can't put it on, like the rest of us :oops:

My parents always told me to turn the music off when studying. They never seemed to comprehend that blaring music and playing Champo at the same time as translating Catullus' longer poems really helped :)

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Bloodhound Gang at the moment but maybe later I'll get onto Rammstein.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

My wife :eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You have my sympathies.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I just bought a new CD by Miles Davis "The Birth of Cool". I listened to it at home and brought in into the office (I can listen to music on headphones), but never got around to putting any music on.

I put music on when I've got a clear job ahead of me and it's a matter of just plowing through. When I've got to sort out a real puzzle, get up, consult with others, have others coming over to consult with me...it's just too much of a hassle to start and stop the music, put on and take off the headphones...you get the idea.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think something happens when you get older.. i know when i was in my late teens and twenties music was always playing regardless of what i was doing, i did not find it a distraction at all. Nowadays however things are different.. i find music in the background to be distracting and annoying, i don't even switch my car radio on any more. For some reason i prefer to listen to my own thoughts these days, rather than the ramblings of a hyped up DJ.

I do still love music and still listen to Pink Floyd with as much pleasure, if not more than i always did but now, i dedicate time for it and focus solely on the music and nothing else.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I still listen to music all the time.

As a former musician (well, still a musician, but not one who harbours any desire to be any part of the music 'industry' again) I find that I simply cannot live without music. there is no way on earth I would travel to/from work, for instance, without my MP3 player. I seriously think I would kill someone on the way.

I've always had pretty broad tastes - for instance, in the last 24 hours I've listened to Mansun, Nile, Fear Factory, the Donnie Darko soundtrack, Aphex Twin, Sigur Ros, Killswitch Engage, Deftones, Puressence, Keane, Snow Patrol, Nine Inch Nails and Kyuss.

At the moment though, my favourite is the new Paradise Lost album - lovin' that.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm listening to the baby monitor to hear if my kids wake up. They've got a little radio in their room that plays the sound of waves crashing, so I'm listening to that as I type.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

John Petrucci's Suspended Animation

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

We leave the bathroom fan running for the same reason - to give a bit of noise - also they think mum or dad are close by ... and as a result they sleep better!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

What I'm listening to? My wife, who else...

No, seriously, I'm a classic lover, so Bach or Mozart would be OK. Percussion is also one of my favorites, so groups as STOMP, Les Tambours du Bronx or Ichiban Daiko wil l be fine. I just listened to the Blue Man Group and they seem OK.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  15. Arroryn

Oh rlly? lol

If we go on posting the little sounds we hear all the time, this thread 'll be seventy pages long before we blink. For example, I'm currently listening to the joyous sound of a laptop I'm working on clicking over with an external USB drive. Wow.

How about we stick to music?

Right now, Made of Scars, by Stone Sour.

16. shambles

shambles Guest

Jaques Breil - Quand on n'a que l'amour. How pretentious is that?

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well last song I was listening to (on my way to work) was the remix of Fading Like A Flower by the Dancing DJs...have heard the original by Roxette and I love it...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Radio 1 at work

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sigur Ros - Saeglopur

Really on a Sigur Ros trip lately - I love this album. So 'ethereal' sounding - I'd imagine this is the music that would be playing on the way up to heaven (if there was a heaven, and if I'd done enough in my miserable lifetime to get me there :biggrin)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

bloodhound gang?? didnt know you into them nug? right now im listening to tiesto's new album... elements of life................... :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics