What are some good study/revision tips?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

can anybody recommend and tips or methods they use? thought this might be helpful to other users also as I am currently looking for some tried and tested methods. Let us know what works best for you and what doesn't work for you.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Learn the stuff and remember it :;)

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Will bare that in mind...

Any retention tips?

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Do practical exercises.
    Do stuff you find interesting.
    Fully understand the implications and design choices, how things fit together. How could the system be deconstructed, re-designed, why is it the way it is ?
    Understand the history and context under which the system/process was designed.

5. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Practice - in my view to really understand the theory, you need to be able to apply it to a real life situation. Whether that's in your test lab at home or controlled in a work environment, practising will enable you to retain the information better.

6. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I literally laughed out loud on this one. :)

I personally find that the atmosphere I am studying it makes a BIGGEST difference. If I am too comfortable I tend to get distracted. So I like to go to Starbucks, grab a coffee, and get to studying. It might sound silly, but it works for me.

Note cards are also huge for me for remembering the tedious things like ports, etc.

Like @crazy horse just mentioned, a home lab will do wonders.

7. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Home labs on VM - nothing teaches you a lesson better than pulling your hair out for ages over a problem and then finding you forgot something basic (or something that MS Press didn't put in their step by step guides :blink).

Anki flash cards app - for all those times in the day where you have a minute or 2 to waste whilst going about your business

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646