What are good certificates to walk into a help-desk interview with?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I know a lot of you say you certficates are for proving the skills you already have and not there to get you a job in the first instance, though I'm not sure if I agree as surely you would stand a better chance if you have a few certs under your belt? it might not get you the job but it may get you atleast an insterview. So my question is what would be a nice certificate bundle to have walking into a IT help-desk job? I'm currently going for the MTA Windows Operating Systems Fundamentals. I'm also enrolled onto a BTEC Award in Computer Engineering course online, though I haven't been actively working on it due to other things. I am debating on the Comptia A+ but really not sure whether its worth the paper its written on.

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

You need to be careful not to over certify, other wise you may look too paper CERT'd and then it could go against you.

If you have a genuine interest in IT, a basic knowledge and you can speak to and deal with people, then just apply for every 1st line help desk you can, you will find interviews and jobs without any.

You keep looking for these perfect answers and scenarios, and truth is, there isn't one. You have nothing at all to lose by applying, so go for it. I would focus more on the job search and applications at your stage than I would trying to get multiple certifications etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Juelz, you have asked and we have answered these questions time and again.

Anything like the MTA's or A+ is about all you need, perhaps ITIL Foundation to show you have an understanding of process and procedure and the reasons why things are done like that would help but anything more is simply overkill.

Don't over certify at this stage, again I can't over emphasize this, you're coming into a career that's expecting you not to have many\any certifications. As I keep saying, going in to a 1st like role you're not expected to know much about the OS or underlying hardware, you're expected to follow scripts and use call logging solutions (which will have guides). You won't be expected to solution a message or db solution, firefight a network outage or p2v a physical farm of servers to a virtual estate. You are expected to answer calls, log calls, placate users and escalate calls to the 2nd\3rd line engineers. Don't over think the role at this stage.

Once you have the experience needed for 2nd \ 3rd line roles then look at the certification tracks.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya mate, what you're studying sounds perfect. A BTEC looks good and A+ not considered OTT. You'll do well mate, keep up the good work

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Juelz likes this.