What am I doing wrong here ???

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Jakamoko, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Grrrrrrr !!!!

OK, I reinstalled VMWare last night after a break from it, as I need to throw up a couple of servers. So VM installs, I then install w2k3 Standard, which runs fine. Next I want to install w2k Advanced. Boot VM, it picks up the disk, wk2 installs just fine (well, there was a small glitch when the hardware detection froze, but a restart completed fine).

So I can boot into each server just fine - now for the dumb question. Why can I not get both to run at the same time ? The only thing I changed from default settings was that instead of using the My Virtual Machines folder on C:\ (not much room left on there), I created a separate 15Gb partition on another drive, created a folder called Virtual Machines, and directed each install to there. When I open this folder, I can see both machines just fine from Explorer.

If I try to boot into the second server (doesn't matter which order this is in, btw) I get the following message:

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing or have done wrong please ? Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hmm by the looks of it it seems to be trying to access the same configuration file for both servers, you didnt happen to 'copy' them to save time did you?

can you follow the wizard and try to install w2k again WHILST the 2k3 server is running? does that cause the same issues?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nope - both were clean, out the box installs directed to the folder I created. I'll try your suggestion though, Ryan - thanks.

The only correction to my original post is that the partition (primary) that I created is on the same drive, not the 2nd drive - although I doubt if that's at all relevant.

EDIT: One question before I do, Ryan:

Should I remove the current w2k server first, and if so, can I do this simply by deleting the sub-folder that contains it ?

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Wait - I think I might have bow locks'ed this up from the start (sound familiar ?) I finally got the option to start the second machine (hmmm- 2 entries for the w2k3 box - no idea what thats all about) then I get a memory error, when I thought I had allocated each to have 128Mb, as per the general advice around here.

[​IMG]

Unless anyone suggests anything else for now, I think I'll just hose the whole damn thing and start afresh. Thanks anyway :)

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

go for it mate
    remove not only the 'favorites' from vmware (left pane) also delete any sub dirs in the VM directory you created, and start afresh

create them both before you start building each, see if you can start them both at the same time (wont get past POST due to no bootable disk, but still)

should highlight probs before the long install process :D

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

OK, thanks Ryan - will go for it now. Do you think I should actually re-install VM at this point ? Other than the above, it seems to be functioning just fine...

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

probably not, give it ago as described above and see how it goes from there

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Yup - deleted both machines. Added both back in (no OS yet) and both dutifully failing on POST.

Right - here goes for the long haul. Thanks again Ryan :)

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Complete success and joy all round. Both servers running side by side just fine now. OK, now down to business ....

Thanks for the assistance, Ryan :thumbleft