What age would be taken serious as an sys admin?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by newuser22, Mar 14, 2010.

1. newuser22

newuser22 New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if you knowledgable folks had any opinions on...

I just interviewed for the position of system administrator (server support) and am 24 years old with 4 years IT experience in desktop /helpdesk, some server side support. I never got the job due to the fact that other candidates had more experience... Do you think my age had something to do with it?

What would be the average age of a server / network guy i suppose?

Benny.

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Here is my experience,

Monday I had an interview for IT manager, I'm 20, I didn't put that on my CV however, and was invited for an interview (IF I was invited for an interview, they knew exactly what skills and experience I had). I got there and they were surprised to find out I was 20. I mean, openly surprised. Anyway, the interview went perfectly, all their technical questions I answered in depth (they were easy questions frankly) and even had a couple of quick informal chats about what they could upgrade too. I didn't get the job because I didn't have "Experience in Certain Applications"

In reality, there was bound to be some unemployed 35 year old with 25 years experience who could start tomorrow there, weigh that against the fact I am 20 and, well, how am I supposed to compete? I can say 99% certainly, that if I had put my age on my CV, I wouldn't of even got the interview.

However, for your job, I don't see any reason you shouldn't of got it. It's likely that once again, there is some 30 year old, with 10 years experience and a degree who can start tomorrow. That's just the way it is right now.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

How mad. I'm 30, got a degree and start my new job tomorrow! :eek: No kidding.

Personally I don't mind how od you are as long as you are good at the job but I suppose a logical way to look at it is, its not your age, but rather the younger you are, the "less likely" you are to have all the experience they want. There are always exceptions to any rule I find however.

In your case Benny I don't think your age had anything to do with it because I've seen younger get a position that sounds like the one you went for.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don't think your age had anything to do with this.

The other candidate may have had three years desktop support and one year server admin - just an example.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Whilst I do believe that if the buck stops at you, you are possibly less likely to get the job the younger you are, if you've got the skills then they should hire you, end of.

I believe our Pheo was a sys admin at your age. Of our current membership, I think Qs is only 22 or 23, and is currently a sys admin / network manager.

I'm aiming for it more by the time I'm 30, but I came into IT when I was 23 so I'm trying to build the experience you already have :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately people in the commercial world view youngsters with the idea that they couldn't possibly be mature enough to handle the pressure of a role more suited to a more mature person whereas the military ensure the security and man management to just that type of person (junior officers generally start at around 22\23 where as you can get a junior non commissioned officer (Lance Corporal\Corporal) at 19\20. At that age it's generally sink or swim and you have the older more mature people around to nurture.

I do think however that because the forces have a certain mentality to them, older guys can take criticism and advice from someone perhaps 10 - 20 years younger than them, I don't see 'civvies' accepting that so easily.

Westernkings, I have to say that your cv must be amazing to have been considered for a management position at your age but (and please don't take this the wrong way) I think you really will struggle to find a management position until you're in your mid 20s simply because of your age (for the reasons mentioned above).

As far as being a sys-admin, really there is no reason why you can't be a sys-admin at 20 - 21, if you have the experience then why not?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. westernkings

Well that's exactly it. There was really NO reason I couldn't do the job, I had more than the skills neccessary and knew more than the current IT manager (who is leaving) about ERPs, Moving to Exchange (or a hosted platform) and all sorts. But I am certain it was my age.

So I was well chuffed to even get an interview for it really.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Age really should have no bearing it's all about experience.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, but an 18 year old can't have 10 years experience though. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

True :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Im a network manager at a school and have been since I was 21. Have just accepted a job as IT Operations Manager at another school (bigger) and i'm now 26.

WIP: 70-680
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just picked up on this thread. This reminds me of what my manager said to me ten years ago at interview - when i was twenty. He used the pop idol analogy (not the best!) to say that they were not only looking for someone who could do the job (i.e the tasks in your case such as back-up's, patching, deploying software) but everything else as well. He said they had spent a lot of time building a team they were happy with and needed to ensure the candidate would fit in with them. He also had an issue in the past with an employee explaining something (very badly) to a customer which almost cost them a contract.

In this case, (there may have been someone with more experience who has been out of work for six months and their salary will be contributed by the government) perhaps the I.T manager is responsible for staff. If so, how would you (and they) feel about being appraised or bollocked by someone at least a few years younger than them?

By the sound of it you have made execeptional progress at the age of twenty so i wouldn't be too disheartened. I'm a firm believer of what is yours won't pass you by.

All the best with the job hunting. :thumbleft

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

It all comes down to emotional maturity I reckon! As you get older you talk differently and probably get more confidence. That is what time does to most of us! However, I've met some very switched on IT Admins who were only in their early 20s and put across the confidence of a 30 year old!

Swings and roundabouts I reckon!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There will likely be some hiring managers out there who will be put off by your age, even if they don't tell you so. But more than likely, the decision did have to do with experience, because in IT, experience trumps all. For example, I'd rather hire a 24-year-old with 6 years of real-world IT experience than a 35-year-old with no experience, all else being equal.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

10 years old when they started? Start young nowadays don't they? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  16. westernkings

Education, Education, Education and all that ;-)

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then that's not "experience", as an employer would see it... it's education. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Pretty much spot on. I'm currently in a Systems Admin role, and have been since fall last year so 22. I honestly believe that if I had put my age on my CV then I wouldn't have been seen in the first place. I also believe that if I had no experience they wouldn't have seen me either. It was for this reason that I previously chose a HND over a BSc because I could continue working as opposed to having a period on my CV where I did not have experience.

There is some luck involved in finding such a position. Thankfully in my case the company wanted to mould someone to fit the organisation and be willing to learn fast and was only around the corner.

As for age differences...it's still a bit strange telling people older than me what to do (or being in managers/directors meetings with the majority of people being 50+), but they know I know what I'm talking about, so it hasn't been a problem. There's a certain level of respect.

My boss is quite young too (late 20s) and he's the tech support manager so go figure, it is possible.

The best of luck continuing your search.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA