What advantages do macs have over windows systems?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have a macbook pro and an imac, and apart from fitting in at starbucks, I struggle to see why they are so popular. I do like the layout of the OS and the spotlight feature but thats about it. Surely theres more to it.. they are very expensive for a basic system, I also find there is always limitations to downloading the mac version of certain software.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's all about the style, yes the OS is ok, I have a couple of Mac's, run a few Linux boxes, plenty of Windows servers and desktops, it's all about what you're comfortable using.

It used to be that Mac's were for the designer type of person, Desktop Publishing, Photo manipulation, sound and film editing etc.

Now days more and more people are just 'using' them.

I can say that when I replace my workhorse laptop (capable of running 32GB of ram for virtualisation purposes) I would be replacing it with another Windows machine because the Mac hardware is limited to 16GB whereas newer laptops are now capable of running up to 64GB these days.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Mac's annoy me.

Yeah they're good for creative and design work loads etc.

The OS i find horrible, the complete lack of support for anything outside of Apple is infuriating. If you have a hardware failure, you're looking at paying over the odds just to keep the device in warranty because you have to buy apple parts for it. Can't just buy a standard HDD online and fit it.

Also - they cause me a sh1t ton of hassle at work!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I hear that alot but what makes them better for design work? Tbh I use mine for web browsing mainly. Cant say I do much else.

5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

We have them at work and sometimes I wish we didn't just because they can be a pain in the backside, I mean i was having a thick day the other day and totally forgot that you only need to click on a folder once to rename it, ha ha . We also have a lot of keychain issues which mainly happens when the users change their password after 30 days, a lot of the time the keychain can get corrupt and if the first aid doesn't work then we have to delete the keychain folder, then reboot etc.

Also I have noticed that when you give the macs some work to do with a few applications, they can become sluggish somewhat, I mean a lot of our students use Adobe photo shop, and often get the spinning wheel etc.

On saying that I absolutely love apple remote desktop, its just great. I can silently install software, use terminal from ARD to push out commands etc. Oh I love the wireless mac keyboards and mouse, they are just awesome. I use the mac keyboard as I float along the keys when typing.

On saying all of the above I am glad I have experience of macs now as its something to put on the CV

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yup Ive noticed macs are sluggish when it comes to booting programs despite the RAM increase on my system.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Now I wouldn't say mine are sluggish (the MBP or the Mac Mini), as an OS it's fine, just the hardware is expensive, just remember that things like Photoshop are resource hungry and would require loads of ram to function properly.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

I work with both Mac Devices and PC's. They are both tools to get the job done. Most of the support calls in terms of the devices having performance issues generally come from PC users. This may be due to how the OS X filesystem is designed, for example automatically defragmenting files.

The calls we do get about Mac performance issues use to be dealt with quite simply by repairing the file permissions:
    Code:
    sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
    Even that is not required anymore in El Capitain as it automatically repairs file permissions during updates and changes

In terms of reliability, the Mac device is likely to reach our replacement program without any failures unless it was damaged by the user. Even then the after sales support from Apple in second to none.

Image is definitely a factor. A lot of our customer facing staff are issued with iPhones, iPads and MacBooks for this reason. Otherwise the the only other area of the business using Apple devices primarily are Marketing and Design for design and file transfer reasons (Thunderbolt).

I don't mind supporting either system. Windows, Mac OS, Linux etc.. At the end of the day, its part of the job description.

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation