What a Network Manager Wants to Hear You Say in an Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What a Network Manager Wants to Hear You Say in an Interview

Bill Bouchard is a network manager and one of his responsibilities is screening potential applicants. Bill has taken the time to share what Will and Won't get you hired. Bill is not the only Network Manager that I have heard from with similar complaints about the expectations of new candidates freshly out of school. If you are going to graduate soon, or already have, you may want to read what Bill and other IT people are saying about you.

Read the whole page here.

The funny thing is that I've have either seen or heard most of these in real life (from grads and non-grads), and still seeing it happen today...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Great article Ken!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, good read that. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good read, but swear that has been posted previously a few times.

Might just be me going slightly crazy from all the studying :blink

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I thought so too, but when I did a search nothing popped up, so posted it :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good post Ken, and i havent seen it before.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. shadds

shadds Bit Poster

Thanks for the article it was a good read.

Just a note about experience. Late last year i was applying for industrial placements as part of my degree and found that actual work experience (even if its not IT related) is alot better than never of having a job ever.

I know this sounds obvious but i got my placement over another person who to be honest had amazing grades yet had never worked anywhere in his life he's 21! ( i know this as they happened to be from the same uni as myself). my grades were half as good as his yet i got the job and i believe the only reason being that ive always had a job part-time while at school / 6th form and full time when out of education.

WIP: CCNA
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the interesting article link Ken, repped! Intriguing reading indeed, especially as I am sitting an interview for a new job this week.

Useful advice indeed, thanks! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  9. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Great link - thanks for sharing.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Link = bookmarked!
    Ken = repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!