What’s the longest time you have studied for a cert?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Sparky, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Basic question but interested to know how long peeps take to pass certs.

Many factors to consider such as IT experience, previous certs, and not driving the wife up the wall as you purchase another server from eBay for the lab!

I try and aim for around three months study for MCPs although the 70-291 took longer than expected and the 70-282 took me just over a month.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

I've just started doing the A+. I'm aiming for 1 exam per month :)

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on a ton of factors:
    1) prior experience
    2) study materials used
    3) amount of free time (jobs? spouse? kids?)
    4) capacity for quick learning
    5) difficulty of the certification you are studying

Everyone's different. It wouldn't be fair to compare how long it takes me to study with how long it takes someone else to study. For example, I didn't study for the A+. But I took it well after I had already established myself as a tech, so you can't really compare my situation with that of a newbie tech. On the other hand, I studied for a long time on Oracle certification exams (failing one of them along the way). It wouldn't be fair to compare my situation with that of someone who works on Oracle databases on a daily basis.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've got a turn around time of about two weeks per exam at the moment
    longest, hmm, probably two months
    technically my MCSE has been on hold since 2003 so you could say 4 years! LOL

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Should we use this as a benchmark, or should we remember that you are some kind of genius :biggrin

6 months, alongside full time work that wasn't computing orientated. For my CCNA, which I should be starting in a month or so, I was hoping more along the lines of 4 months.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just over 2 months per exam so far, although im sure that will increase as the exams get harder.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've passed them without study before... and I've taken over a year for one before.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

9 months for me (3 exams, which includes one horrible fail) A+.
    im hoping to complete mcdst by end of the year - it seems a long time, but i aint in no hurry, plus, i'd rather take my time and pass rather than rush and fail... of course, once you get the hang of books, learning technique and know some of the topic, then the timeframe should decrease...

but Pheonix now, well, we know he has his weetabix in the morning!