Where do i start

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by agib, Apr 18, 2015.

1. agib

agib Bit Poster

Here is my first question and i am sure it has been asked so many times, but where do i start, i have around 3 years of in house desktop support for a company in the city, but no formal qualifications only what i have learnt on the job.

I need a plan to get myself from where i am to where i need to be. I am looking at my options, i do not mind spending money if i am going to get something from it, but i don't want to waste the money i have just got married and i have a baby on the way. (New baby has given me a kick up the backside to do better and earn more)

I would really love like to get more into Microsoft a study the MSCA and Cisco CCNA and VM, these always seems to be the skills i see on job sites.

What would you guys suggest i start. Consider me a blank canvas.

Cheers

Agib

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hiya mate, it's a lot easier to study for and pass those kinds of exams if you work with the technology they cover. Do you do much with servers and or cisco network kit at the moment do you mind I ask? In terms of Microsoft check out the exam for windows 8.1. Most of us start with a client exam I think before taking Microsoft server exams. Have you approached work to pay for your exams and study materials? A lot will fund you if it's work related. Are there any network or server roles in your place? I'd speak to someone doing that role if there is, register your interest

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    agib likes this.
  3. agib

agib Bit Poster

That;s good advice. this week i have laid out a study plan for the next 12 months. Work have agreed to pay for up to £1000 worth of exams over the next twelve months but nothing towards training, that i will have to foot myself.

Spoke to a couple of the network admins here, they said they have not problem in allowing me to shadow them for a hour or so a day if i have time or during my lunch break which i have no problem in doing.

JK2447 likes this.
  4. agib

agib Bit Poster

Which materials do i need for the Microsoft 8.1 client exam, books etc

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hiya mate, you're going to need a book that covers Exam 70-687 so get googling that. I've not sat it so I'm reluctant to recommend a book to be honest on this one. CBT Nuggets do a weeks free trial and will certainly have the CBT for that exam but as you only get a free week be ready to batter it. I like their videos and again, see if work would pay for a subscription as its no where near the cost of a course. What's the 12 month plan mate? Where do you want to end up?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So a couple of things to mention here, I manage a virtualisation cloud team at work and have interviewed candidates over the last 9 months for various roles in my team, one of the important things to remember from your career perspective is that you move up into more senior roles and as much as I hate to say it you aren't at the stage of being a virtualisation admin yet, you aren't even at the server sysadmin level at the moment and it's moving up from server sysadmin to virtualisation admin that's the normal career progression (ok, some people move up from storage admins to virtualisation because of the cross over).

My advice at the moment is to move yourself in to a 1st or 2nd line Server Admin role, get the experience in that for a couple of years and start to look at the virtualisation admin roles after that.

As a side note, my guys have a mix of different qualifications, storage, linux, networking, windows etc, they didn't just fall in to virtualisation without some decent sys admin skills tho, my go to guy has great Linux, MS, Networking and Storage skills outside of the virtualisation skills that he uses to surpass basic server admins and that's what I look for when hiring guys, I need the guys who have worked the coal face on servers, have storage experience (even just understanding how to setup NFS\iSCSI etc), understand IP addressing, VLANs etc so that they can troubleshoot the entire stack, this usually entails that these guys have 5+ years in industry.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA