Well hello there..

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by niftyshellsuit, Jun 1, 2010.

1. niftyshellsuit

niftyshellsuit New Member

Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this forum today! I've been considering how to formalise some of my IT experience as I'm heading back into the industry after about 2 years away and I have been very confused about what to do!

Having been through the Network+ course before (through work, though they did not pay for the exam) I figured they would be a good place to start, but then having heard about the recent changes in their rules about the certificates expiring I'm unsure. I reckon as I've been through the material before and found it pretty straightforward I could knock out the exams before the deadline but I'm not completely convinced that it's worth it.

I didn't know til I found this forum (see, handy!) that you can use the A+ and N+ as part of a Microsoft Certification so that might still be a good route to go down but I'm concerned about sinking all of my (very limited) supplies of cash into worthless certificates.

Anyway, this wasn't particularly a cry for help as I've only just really started considering all of this, but any handy advice would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nifty

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

The A+ and Network + do not retire unless you pass them after december 31st this year so your safe, so that means you are certified for life.

As for the A+ and N+ counting towards Microsoft certifications they do count as an elective towards the MCSA and Micrtosoft recently changed to them also being counted towards the elective for the MCSE.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

6. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+