Welcome To Me!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by millsie, Aug 21, 2009.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Hello to all in the cert forums, I'm hoping that you guys will be able to help me get started in the networking world, not having any previous degrees completed or certs, I do have a good friend in the industry as a helpdesk CCNA certified. He has been helpful but I feel I need as much help as I can get, so here I am!! I'm thinking I might go straight in for MCDST, to get me into the IT world asap, I am fond of all things computer and am sick of sales/customer service call centre work!

Any advice for a beginner would be appreciated.

Thanks guys :D

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi there :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

I'm new to CF but i extend my hand and say welcome :)

Advice is know exactly which role you want to do, hardware software support hands on helpdesk end user support server support so on and so forth. Also make sure you understand that this is not like any standard white collar wearing job, to keep up with the industry you need to be passionate about IT, otherwise you may one day realise the latest SP release is out next week - your CEO wants it rolled out - because its a nice colour - and you havent even BETA tested it yet!!

Also best to take note, you do your days work and then your home time is or should be spent testing or researching or learning.

Another point - the market has been flooded with certs and Eastern Europeans for the past 5+ years and salaries are dropping like wingless Chickens, where people got paid a decent salary 5+ years ago you can knock 20% off that.

The grass is never greener on the other side.

Make sure IT is exactly what you want and if it is, head down and get cracking.

Good Luck.!!

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Plus A+,N+ and MCDST are good certs for beginners until you get experience then you can move onto higher certs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902