weird question

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by _omni_, Aug 29, 2005.

1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

he can take ownership. but that wasnt the point of the question, the point was how could he give user B access to all of user A's files. i think that was it, anyhow.

so i tried it myself, this is what i did:

as local admin, i created an account named Jane. Jane is a member of the Users group.
    i logged out, logged back in as Jane, created a document, removed the local admin group from permissions, and logged out.
    logged back in as (an) admin, tried opening the file...access denied. changed username Jane to John (user B). logged out.
    logged in as John, opened the document. problem solved.

so i still dont understand why renaming the account isnt a good solution.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

im quite sure i already understand permissions. perhaps i understood the question differently.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Renaming the account would work for sure but that would also give the new user the same profile as the old user hence all there old emails, desktop configuration preferences, etc

Taking ownership would allow the admin to add the new user into the DACL of the required files.

It is recommended though to add groups to access resources and then you can just add or remove a user to a group that already has the permissions.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

omni,

You do have a workable solution. I was thinking you were renaming the accounts just the other way around--that you were renaming the account from the user that now needed permissions to the name of the user account that created the file. That would never work because of the way the system keeps track of accounts.

You'll have to excuse my thick headedness. I have sleep apnea and my mask broke Friday night when I was putting it on. I'm still waiting to get my new mask so I haven't really had any rest since Thursday night of last week. Sleep deprivation is getting the better of me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. ffreeloader

I agree that is the best solution in a domain because it is the most secure solution, but I didn't see anything in the question that mentioned a domain. One thing I've learned with MS questions and exams is not to read too much into the question.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

For sure, but I have read some questions, especially on the designing AD exam case studies that were like war and peace . It's hard to not read too much into them sometimes. There is a knack which needs to be learned in trying to figure out what is being asked. I don't always get it right but so far I have only failed one exam that I was ready for and that is simply because I ran out of time trying to read all the information that was given in the questions. That was 70-216 btw :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. ffreeloader

I figure 216 is the hardest test I've taken besides 229. It's one I didn't know whether I had passed or not until it printed out the score. I actually did pretty well, score was in the high 800's, but it was such a difficult exam that I just wasn't sure if I'd passed or not. I found the CCNA to be much easier than 216.