Weird boot up SATA issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morph, Feb 18, 2009.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

So i just got a new pc MSI motherboard with a sata drive - on some occasions on boot up it freezes when it gets to post - but if i reboot it always starts second time, its almost like the sata drive hasnt possibly got going, i say this as over the last week, quite a few times i've booted and it says cant find disk - so i've re-booted checked in the bios and its not seeing the sata drive, if i re-seat the sata drive or pop into a differant sata connection its fine. My msi install is running a live update, but i'm going over the drivers to check i'm up to date. Has anyone got any ovbious ideas?

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cable or SATA port perhaps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dunno. Might be a flaky drive. Have you tried a known-good SATA drive?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

It sounds like that particular port is bad, think about RMAing the board, depending on where you bought it from you might be running out of time to do so.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I'd check the sata cable,to see if it is clipped on perfectly and flush,my sata cable can hang at a slight angle and i have to position it properly.

I've also seen replicas of the errors you are describing when using a sata cable with one end slighly chipped off,it was almost unnoticeable.

I'd check for damage to the sata cable connectors.

It is basically just a communication issue.
    So can only be the sata cable or the port itself in my view.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Lokks like everything has been covered here, might also be worth resetting the CMOS on the mobo as ive seen some strange issues cured by doing this.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Ya HDDs are pretty easy, if your cable is good and your port is good then your drive is bad, you know it's not the drive because it works at a different port. So check your connections one more time if they all look clean then RMA that Mobo.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+