website lacking search function and advertisers

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by mallet, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I got a website currently in the making, its a video games reviews site that I will reviews games before they get release.

Iam still gathering information on any special requirements
    that I need if I wanted to obtain game copys before
    its release or the legitimately of asking for copys of
    the games before it gets release.

Its not live yet as Iam doing some reviews on some not so old games. Plus I just nearly completed the HTML.

But I am lacking some stuff on my website.

First, I dont know how I would setup a search function. As times goes by, the website will be fillled with reviews. And to make things worse, I am a complete novice on the HTML side.

Secondly, my website will be paid by the month and I did some research on some online advert companys.
    I got a good response from a Uk company called accelerators: http://www.accelerator-media.com/publishers.html

However, my site will have over 12+ rated games and there policy is to have family content on the ads. They said they look into that, and call me back.

If anyone knows any online advertises that would do a good range of both family and over 12+ adverts, that would be helpful.

-mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't have any advice on ads, but as far as search functions go have you taken a look at Zope/Plone for putting your website together with? It has a lot of functionality built into, is very good at scaling out, and is multi-platform as it is built using Python.

I've been playing with it a little lately and I like it much better than the php implementations such as the software this site is put together with. Python is also much more secure, by nature, than php is.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

could i suggest, that if you are planning on writing loads of reviews on games then a full html site may not be what you are looking for sound more a job for a CMS(content management system) most of these will come with inbuilt search functions

or use http://www.google.com/coop/cse/

and as for ads, I've found Value Click to be very good

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for the ad link :)

I looked into the CMS and does look interesting with the search function and the multiple updates you can do.
    But it seems confusing to work :eyecrazy
    I installed the plone installer and when it was finish went to double click and brought up the plone controller. on from here Iam lost :(

I did look into the documentations of plone but just keep going about how to create a page which I know how to do.

Theres soo many questions that need to be asked, if anyone can answer them, that will be awesome.

I really need to get the following things working with plone:

what is the Zope manangement interface?

How do I upload a website from my prevoius webpage page? As I am currently running a some test on a test webpage and want to transfer the HTML codes to plone.

How do I setup the search function or put one on my website via plone?

And how do I put up the website? no really, I understand I can edit pages or create pages on plone but how do I get it uploaded on my main webpage?

-Mallet

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It is the admin side of any site you build with Zope/Plone. You reach it at http://localhost:8081 by default on Linux. If it installs differently on Windows, which I doubt, you can use "netstat -ap" to find the open port. Zope will show up as python in the output from netstat.

I don't exactly the know the answer to that yet. I haven't gotten that far myself with it. I've just been using what is provided. But, I do know that this is very extensible. Once you reach the ZMI(Zope Management Interface) there are tutorials for how to do everything and links to all the documentation.

The search function is built right into Zope/Plone. See my last comment on tutorials and documentation.

Zope/Plone is a complete website along with all the infrastructure to build, and maintain, a site. If you want to serve it with Apache and Apache's virtual host capability you do so through the proxy module. You can, however, use just Zope/Plone itself to serve the site as it has its own web server and database built right into it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it :)

7. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I don't know how expansive your web skills are, but CMS systems aren't too hard to build. You can build them using a server side scripting language such as php or asp and a database system such as mysql, mssql, oracle or even access.

Very easy to use gui tools such as dreamweaver and heidi also.

If you want a very easy out of the box solution, Joomla & phpnuke are both good, but maybe overkill for this.

Need any help give me a shout :)

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

From a technical perspective, there are all kinds of options out there.

But have you actually done a business analysis (assuming you are going to try and get somewhere with this site, rather than just have it as a hobby).

The games industry is a huge marketing engine - there are hundreds of sites, magazines, papers, tv shows - all dedicated to news and reviews of games.

When a company releases a new game, they want to go for maximum coverage. They are going to be more than happy to bung free copies at FHM, PC Pro, Radio 1 DJs and the like, but as an 'html novice' with a site that nobody has heard of may take some convincing.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Yep I need help, if you can spare a moment to help a noob in distress :)
    my only knowledge so far is basic html and only just recently PHP. I only found a few days ago that php can do a nifty trick such as the include function which is real time saver if I wanted to add new console games icon on my site without having to update the other 15 pages :D

Most of my files are in html if I start using php does that mean I have to save the files in php instead of html?

I also managed to get a search engine built into my website called picosearch which works and is ok.

And is there any other program I should be aware of before I take my final step on putting the site live?
    I still have to sort out the icons and the banner though which makes it worse for someone with no web art talent :(

I did abit of reseach and it does seem competitive out there, but I want to at least try :)
    Ive been given some good advice on how to get copys of the early review games but it is early days so I review what I got so far.

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

you could try this site to learn a little more about php, on another note be very careful with your php site, if you decide to write it yourself make sure you have a look over some security tutorials before you go live with it

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree. Poor PHP practice (and also in some cases the language itself) seems to be the source of a very large number of break-ins and defacements that have happened on the Web.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Great, thanks for that link. Was busy just looking through that site and doing some test on a dummy website :)
    great to be aware of that sort of security issue, cheers :thumbleft