Website issue

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Aug 15, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey

So I was browsing to my work places website and after a few hours of doing a job app, i decided to log out to clear my head. When I tried to log back in it would only take me to a 'is this page helpful' site? So I thought i would try different browsers etc, but I kept getting the same page. I then decided to clear my cache in chrome but still the same issue. I then tried this www.whereIwork.com/login and that took me to where I needed to go and from there I was then able to carry on with what I was doing?

So what was the issue here, I am thinking of a broken link in the site itself? Or is it something else?

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Normally web servers have a default page for a domain context, say index.html, plus there is various other possible explanations.

What a web server basically does is turn a URL into a webpage :-

www.somedomain.com/index.html -> <html> Hello World </html>

There are various conventions, like having a default page for a domain root, so you can say.

www.somedomain.com and it basically forwards to www.somedomain.com/index.html

A forward is a server side redirect, you get routed to a different place.

Yeah basically they must broken their own website during an upgrade and not tested it properly.

If you are really interested read up on web dev or look into how IIS, Apache or Nginx work.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017