Website critique

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by nugget, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Lonny

Lonny New Member

I'd recommend to use CSS in order to change the fonts to something which is more compfrtable to read like Verdana or something..

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Lonny, I've really fallen behind with this one. I'm also in the process of learning CSS too as you can see here at www.greg.cole.name.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Looks good to me Nugget :D

Only critisism from me is that the pics don't load progessively, you have to wait and stare at a blank box until the entire pic has downloaded. Painful over my 28k dialup. Also, it would be nice if there was some kind of subtle mouse over effect on your navigation icons. Oh and maybe an English translation for us dumb ones?

Otherwise, it is good!!

Pete

PS Stll no metatags at this point in time

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

one way to get the hit counter to stop changing is simply to place the bottom bar in a frame. that way the frame is loaded once then doesnt change. whats happening at the mo is that you seem to have a link for the counter within every page, so every time you click a link, you are loading all the data again, and therefore querying the counter again, which will count as a new hit! placing the bottom bar in a frame (and possibly the header area if it doesnt change, and again with the nav menu) would solve this (you would only be querying once per visit!). and it might also cut down on load times a little too.

just be careful if you do though. frames can look really clumsy if not done right (dont ask me HOW to do them well, i havent done any HTML in years, and even when i did the frames were clumsy, lol).

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the feedback guys. As I mentioned to Lonny (above) I've fallen way behind in the improvements for the site. Fergal, I used to have the site done in frames but it was a PITA to work with, so I changed to using tables. As for the counter I think I will remove it, although it does look good going up all the time :D.

There just seems to be not enough hours in the day, but I think everyone here knows all about this phenomenon.:(

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i hear you
    my new years resolution is to add 10 hours to the day so that i might find som time for sleep!!

I like the css based site, very nice
    and i hate frames too, they are pretty lame :) from an age before CSS :)
    looking good mate
    well done
    good luck finding more time lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Does anyone have a decent link or whatever to some web based resource that explains how to use CSS (cascading style sheets) in a simple to understand manner? I want to re-vamp my own personal site, which *does* use frames and I totally agree they are olde fashioned nowadays! Also, search engine robots/spiders have trouble indexing sites that use frames and I think that is one of the reasons most real webmasters steer clear of them.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady