Web traffic monitoring with IPCop?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by BrizoH, Mar 5, 2008.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I've been asked to look into a cheap (i.e free :D) solution for monitoring Internet usage in our company.

We currently use a Watchguard Firebox - I was wondering if it would be possible to install IPCop on a PC and put it between the Firebox and the LAN, to be used purely for logging traffic whilst disabling all NAT and Firewall rules.

So my setup would be ISP Router > Firebox > IPCop > LAN

LAN clients using IPCop as the default gateway, IPCop using the firebox as the default gateway etc.

Has anyone tried anything similar? I'm running the install just now but would be interested to see your experiences.

Cheers

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why not use the logs from the Firebox? Saves getting another box in the chain.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Problem is that the firewall only logs IP's and not usernames by default, although I think there is a way of setting up authentication.

Firebox reporting isn't the best either - I'm really trying to find a quick and simple way of being able to report who is accessing what sites, and ideally transparent to end users

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I don't see how you will get usernames from IPCop either. Surely all it has to go on will be what's in the packets, which will be the IP addresses?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+