Web-Sites Optimized For 1024x768

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rover977, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I would just like to ask what screen resolution and monitor types people are using, eg 800x600 on 17" CRT monitor, or 19" (or larger) on a flat panel LCD monitor. I am beginning to think that having a 17" CRT monitor running at 800x600 means I am way out of date. The reason is because a significant number of web-sites are now optimized for 1024x768 - which in practice means having to constantly scroll horizontally left and right to read them if you run at 800x600 !

The CertForums web-site does NOT have this problem though as an option is available under User Control Panel->Edit Options->Miscellaneous Options->Forum Skin to allow the pages to fit within the screen width on 800x600 if required.

One site in particular I have found is 'optimized' for 1024x768 is Amazon.co.uk, and I have entered some feedback on their site with regards to this (they are currently redesigning their site).

Maybe its just time to buy a new monitor - but there is nothing wrong with the one I have apart from this (I find 1024x768 is WAY too small on this monitor). Is 800x600 screen resolution really an anachronism ? I would regard 640x480 as being out of date but surely a high percentage of PC users are still using 800x600 on a 17" monitor ?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I run 1280 x 1024 as a minimum now but then I'm using twin 19"tft's.

I think the points to bear in mind are :

1) a lot of cheap end stuff gets 19" tft's given away with it so that is fast becoming entry level

2) sites will always be a step behind the "norm" just to accomodate people who haven't upgraded yet such as yourself.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - if you're happy with what you've got fine, if not - go spend some money ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good web design usually means, in part, making sure a site will display well in a variety of screen resolutions. There are probably some "Mom and Pop" type of folks out there using older PCs with lower screen resolutions, so if designers are planning to appeal to a really wide audience, they'll have to take them into consideration.

At work, I use a screen res of 1280 x 1024, but at home, all my PCs have a res of 1024 x 768. They are all somewhat older boxes and I've not bothered to upgrade the video cards for higher resolutions.

Another thing to consider is that if designers expect people to view sites using mobile devices, they'll need to test how they render on those really tiny screens. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I guess I must be becoming a 'mom and pop' kind of a guy! :biggrin BUT I am quite proud of this 17" Viewsonic monitor - the clarity is excellent - I never had any reason to replace it - until now - when this horizontal scrolling has finally got to me ! :mad

Clearly Amazon don't uphold to the same high standards as CertForums when it comes to web design 'down level' (aka 'mom and pop') compatibility! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I can tell I'm going to regret using the term "Mom and Pop". Sorry if I stepped on any toes. :oops:

6. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I think it is probably the 'Silver Surfers' they want to cater for rather than the 'Mom and Pop' type users :biggrin. I think the Silver Surfers will have all the latest kit including 21"+ LCD panels. (I certainly do have the 'silver' bit right though ... :unsure )

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Are you sure? :biggrin jk

[​IMG]

8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I'm running 1680x1050 on my 22" Samsung wide LCD.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...like Trip. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I laughed :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA