Web developing or IT Tech

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by cBooM, Mar 7, 2015.

1. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

Hello, guys! I would really appreciate your advice.
    My story goes like this.. I am from a little poor country - Moldova.. I was fond of computers since childhood and I started to look for possible ways of earning money on web since I was in 7 grade.. With time I learned the basics of web developing and I was making different websites on Wordpress for quite a while. After that, mostly because both my parents worked in this field, I studied and graduated in Law. Of course, all this time I stopped doing websites, but I kept a keen interest in technology.. Now, after graduating I realized I don't like Law at all and that my soul really belongs to IT.
    The problem is, when I tried to remember my skills, I realized I am way behind and practically I have to learn everything from the beginning .. To be more honest, back then, basically I was redesigning already existing wordpress themes and was building new websites of them.. I knew html, css, photoshop and everything else related to Wordpress.. I was pretty good at this, but I wasn't creating anything from the scratch :((

Anyway, at the moment I moved to London in search of a better life and, after reading a lot of information about possible IT career paths, I have to make a decision:
    1. Study web developing again, but I am afraid that maybe it is not for me, cause I know I cant continue like I used to; I need the creative side in me and I am not sure if I have it..
    2. get a CompTIA A+ certification an start the IT Tech Support carreer path.. at home I was fixing all the technology for all my friends and relatives and I like it, so I think I could do a good job

Could you please advice me how can I find out what to do ? Maybe your life stories, maybe some websites .. anything will be good .. I just got into this forum and I really like this community, I am still reading everything and I am sure I will get to a good end ;)

Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya mate, it sounds to me like IT support might be more your cup of tea. It's very important that you choose something you enjoy as you could end up doing it for many years. I'm sure you will have started reading the threads on here but there's tons on how we got into IT, what resources we've used for most infrastructure exams, our experiences in roles etc. Very best of luck with everything. Hard work and determination will get you there mate, Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hi, like Jim said it probably sounds like you may be better off going down the IT support side of things.

One thing I can tell you is that there are still loads of WordPress sites out there but unless you're selling Themes or Plug-Ins I can't see a really easy way of earning money from doing it, heck even me as a non-web head run a couple of WordPress sites with ease.

One of the things I do mention frequently is that the CompTIA exams aren't really that well known over here, sure they give you a great understanding of the technology you're likely going to use but won't be widely recognised in UK industry too much.
    My suggestion would be to get a CV written up, search various job sites and start putting your CV in for entry level roles, perhaps take some time to self study for the A+ exam and see how you get on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

thank you for you responses ;)
    well, the thing is I have been searching for entry level jobs more than one month already and I didn't get any calls back :( only training proposals .. this is how I ended up here .. I am already studying for the A+ and I am pretty sure I can pass it in one month .. I work only 3 days a week at the moment and I have plenty of time that to dedicate for this
    SimonD, you say CompTIA certifications aren't widely recognized in UK? :( than which ones are ?

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

@cBooM that would probably be the Microsoft MTA but again you're better off getting some experience under your belt and looking to see what direction your career takes before taking too many exams.

The A+ is good for you not because of the certifications as such but the exposure to the different technology you get from it.

Don't get me wrong, I have been aware of the A+ before I left the Army (back in 1996) but it's still not as widely known\understood here in the UK as say Microsoft.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

ok, I got it ;)
    any advice how to get an entry level job ? :(
    when I look at my CV, I think I should have been called right away with an offer :D I know something is wrong, but I can't understand what ..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015