Web Designer

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by RECKLESS, Sep 23, 2011.

1. RECKLESS

RECKLESS New Member

Hello
    Ok I have a friend shes kinda in a pickle, shes trying to change her career to web design and has no clue how to start.
    I have pointed her to lynda.com and w3schools.com to start her off. She is finding this over overwhelming and not sure what to start on first.

Her goals are to design website with photoshop then code it to html ect also be able to make a CMS and maybe in future E commerce site.

I think she needs a a guide which to learn first :blink

Any help would be appreciated:biggrin

2. Zye4822

Zye4822 New Member

Hi Reckless

I think she should try doing a web design course at alison.com
    They have great basic and advanced courses for free. You can get a certificate at the end of your course, which you have to pay for ... but for basic free knowledge, I have found that it is a great resource. I wish her all the best. Web design is where I came from before I decided to change career to network/server administration. Still looking for my first job. Cheers ... :biggrin

Certifications: Cisco CCENT, CCNA, MCITP/SA, BCS ITQ 2, C&G Adv IT Pro L3, C&G Award ICT System and Principals L2, C&G Customer Support L3, Cisco Exploration 1-4, IT Essentials 1 & 2, Diploma in Web Business Development and Marketing - alison.com
    WIP: OU Diploma Computing & IT
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

She might want to get a basic book like this. I taught myself HTML and CSS using something very similar. Even using Dreamweaver, she'll need a basic background in HTML to really be a good designer. I've heard that you can design a site completely in PhotoShop, but like Edna Mode suggests, "start with the basics".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. StephenTC

StephenTC New Member

w3.org is my weapon of choice, but I'm an old software coder so don't mind ugly sites :)

I hear this question all the time.

I do think a lot of research is required before making the jump as it's a crowded market and competition for jobs is tough.

I have been learning how to program for well over 15 years now and am still learning... A quick source of cash? Certainly not!

That being said, there is a great amount of demand for web development as the online markets explode with new business.
    I would recommend against w3schools.com as it appears authoritative yet doesn't follow the w3.org specifications as close as probably should.

Using your examples she would need to learn PhotoShop, HTML, CSS, PHP or ASP and a database language.
    She may want to consider focusing on the design and HTML markup then pay someone to convert that into a CMS template to save time.

Learning HTML and CSS isn't that difficult but as soon as you require cross-browser support, graceful degradation and all the other things people expect when paying a premium for design, the time soon increases.

All of the above can easily be learnt on the internet for free, so wouldn't recommend paying for it until she is serious it's something she want's to do!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

google. Simples Eek! Really, i mean it! Theres plenty of sites out there that can help you learn how to design a website in photoshop and then slice the image etc and code it to html. I used to do this in the past when i was into web design, only did a few basic sites but all were done in PS.

Of course she'll still need to learn Photoshop and how to use it effectivley, how to code HTML and CSS otherwise she wont get very far. But again theres plenty of websites out there, some with videos, which will help. Also ask around places like here as everyones willing to gove advice.

Some Photoshop sites

Online Photoshop Tutorials, News and Tips | Planet Photoshop

95+ Great Photoshop Tutorials to Learn Awesome Photo Manipulation Tricks - geektechs

Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP

70 Excellent Photoshop Resources

- StumbleUpon

Photoshop « Layers Magazine Layers Magazine

The 100 Most Popular Photoshop Tutorials 2008

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/photoshop-texture-tutorials/

Photoshop Basics: Introduction to Using Textures

How to Code up a Web Design from PSD to HTML

13 Pure CSS Techniques for Creating JavaScript-like Interactions | Tutorials

34 Photoshop Tutorials That Will Leave You Looking Like A Pro | Onextrapixel - Web Design & Development Online Magazine

53 Crazy-good Digital Photography Tutorials | Psdtuts+

Create a Magic Night Themed Web Design from Scratch in Photoshop | Psdtuts+

http://www.bernskioldmedia.com/courses/online/building-a-wordpress-portfolio-website-in-60-minutes/

WordPress Tutorial: Setting Up A MySQL Database With cPanel

Wordpress Tutorials | web3mantra

http://professional-tutorials.com/

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,