Web design jobs

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Mix'Creations, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Hi how do you get into the industry having @ present only passed the foundations exam, will complete the rest soon, and pretty proficient with design tools, knowledgeable of code, but not built much?

Thanks.

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru
  2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Learn how to use Adobe Dreamweaver, create an excellent website and used it a profile when applying for jobs or when going interviews. :):)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

With extreme difficulty.

Don't get too hung up on the exam part. As we've already said, they aren't really going to help you.
    Your biggest problem is going to be the 'not built much' part.

Do you have your own site at the moment?
    If not - get one up there.
    Get it looking good.
    Do a bit of SEO on it so that it gives some results when people search for web design in your area.
    Then add a portfolio section of other stuff you've done - other sites, logos, whatever.
    They don't have to be 'real' sites - make stuff up. You're local rugby club, friends, local DJ - doesn't matter, just go for content and try to show off some skills and variety in what you can do.

I then had some business cards and A5 flyers printed. I handed them out to friends and local shops etc (the local PC repair shop in the village was great) and put a free ad on yell.com.

It might not yield much, but it got me started. A few sites for friends who had businesses, local church etc. Then I got approached by another local designer who was struggling and we got together and passed jobs around when we needed help. By then, you've got a decent portfolio and can start to pitch to the big boys.

It's tough going though. Nowadays there are 10 year olds who can build websites that look good enough. You need to work on your professional skills more and try to educate customers that, although little Jonny's website may look OK, it isn't doing everything it could be.

Would I do it all again?

Hell no.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I create a good website using Web Easy Professional 8 and I currently used Serif Webplus X4 which is probably web design for people like me who has no web developing/programming or html code knowledge.

But you cannot call your a web designer unless you used Adobe Dreamweaver which is not for people with no html knowledge or no web programming knowledge.

So I assume most companies expect web designers to used Adobe Dreamweaver although Serif Webplus X4 can also produce very good websites.

So get on a Adobe Dreamweaver course.

5. Mix'Creations

just completed a development course (1 of 5 exams completed) done a graphic course in my teens, pretty good with the tools.. adobe creative suite cs5 etc.. I JUST NEED A JOB .. lol

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Pish and tosh my friend.

You can call yourself a web designer if you can design web pages.
    I've used Dreamweaver in the past, but never really got on with it.

I used to use FrontPage and Notepad++.

Each to his own - you can use whatever tools you like, providing you're proficient at using them.

:biggrin

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Absolute pish! You can call yourself a web designer when you are working as a web designer.

Web designer (or more accurately - web application designer) is something I am. Its part of the role that I perform that encompasses many tasks.

I've never used Dreamweaver. That doesnt make me any less of a designer than having one testicle makes you any less a man.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Mix'Creations

I like that :biggrin class :ohmy

But if your designing... actually doing something real, the you are a designer... web + designing = Web designer.:eek:

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not design some sites, get a portfolio tegether and show it to employers after all in jobs like that they could really give a crap that you have a web design cert they give a crap about seeing evidence of what you can do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Sorry I diagree there are advanced websites like the bbc or skynews websites for example I would are created using Adobe Dreamweaver and things on there that need programing knowledge to create it like using creating they own video codec players.

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Those advanced websites were most likely developed using Visual Studio. Dreamweaver is rubbish for .NET development. It's only good for PHP and for code colouring.

Dreamweaver is just a tool to make your job easier. Your job is to know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. and how to put design together (first in Photoshop, later into HTML).

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. Mix'Creations

Think the moral of the story is getting good @ what you feel comfortable with :)

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Balls.

You'd use Visual Studio for complex stuff.
    I use it myself, but to be honest, if there's a simpler solution, I use that.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so please stop trying to confuse people looking for help.

:rolleyes:

14. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Pish, tosh, total BS! :biggrin

Is this the grumpy old man thread? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have worked at Sky on their websites, they use Java for their serverside code, they also have a Java based CMS and ESB, Oracle database, Linux/Solaris servers, hardware JVM compute devices, etc. They also have some Java in their set top boxes.

The IDE's used were Eclipse and IntelliJ.

I never saw dreamweaver used once, the front end guys just used firefox/firebug and a text editor.

I also know people at the BBC and their new portal site was written in Java also. The BBC iplayer site is written in PHP/Flash/Java/Perl.

Ebay, Amazon and Google also use a lot of Java. Facebook is PHP/HipHop.

Static languages are not really great for web development so C\C++ rarely gets used for core serverside web development, few people do CGI and C++ but its pretty rare.

People can write custom plugins for browsers, these are sometimes written in C++. I have used Visual Studio for 16 years since version 1.52 and Win16\Windows 3.1 were the norm.

As to 'Program codes' they are called programming / developer jobs, its not really web design, its web development and a CIW cert means nothing to most development managers. HTML is not really code, its Markup.

Recruiters generally don't know or care much about the industry, they mix up terminology or use incorrect terms all the time.

LukeP has it right.

Designers core skillset is Photoshop.

Front End Web Developers core skillset is HTML/CSS/JavaScript and possibly ActionScript. They may also use tools like Fireworks, Flashbuilder.

Some jobs mix roles so you have SEO, Design, Development, e-Marketing, Analytics, Administration, etc all thrown in because they can't pay for multiple people or there is limited work etc.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  17. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Still programming stuff though.

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What is?

19. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Foe example Java and Perl are programming languages.

20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

However, the point dmarsh is making, is that there is a different between a web designer and a web developer. Developers using scripting and/or programming languages to develop web applications. Web designers focus more on the aesthetics of the site - as a result the skillset is different, as are the tools utilised.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present