Web Design jobs/opportunities

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Mix'Creations, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Hi all.

Im just wondering, ive been studying with SkillsTrain now for little over a year, currently up Section 2 Part A (not far off finishing this section) and im fluent with certain web design technologies etc like dreamweaver etc, i know most JavaScript..know html very well, but, im looking at NOW actually getting out there and designing etc.

I know that my portfolio is more important than any cert i can attain, but seeing as this is only as far as i am at moment, im wondering what advice you can offer me in maybe registering/applying and getting myself out there..selling myself so to speak.

I have had various advices, but if you can enlightened me further that would be welcome.

Thanks.

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru
  2. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

I would probably say the best advice is to start freelancing if you feel up to it. If you've not already - get a website and start building up a portofolio and services you can do on it. See how it goes from there.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey.

Definately portfolio is the way to go. Every single possible client will want to see your work before he will hand his corporation/business/personal image under your command. As usual you can try to start volunteering at some company but in this case youo might as well just design from home.

Web design/development is similar to programming. You have to show what you've done to be allowed to do something.

The other option is to try some internal moves within company you work for. Look for companies that do what you would like to do and apply for any jobs that suit you. When you're in it's just the matter of time (usually shorter than longer if you show good attitude) until you get role of your dreams.

Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Ok thanks lads, ive just registered @ some freelance web site, so hopefully something may pay off there, ive already started on my own mini me web site but im my own worse critic and if i dont like it i correct it until im content..with content so to speak lol.

The Training provider im with will lead me down the right avenues eventually, but, thats some way down the line yet.

Would be great to work alongside some experiened designer.

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru