Web design how quick you have to be?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by alcapone, Jan 17, 2008.

1. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Hi all soon I will be finishing my web design course and start looking for the job in London. I will be able to work with Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop have good anderstanding of CSS and basic understanding of Accessibility and future thechnologys. By this time I will hold the ComTIA I-Net+ certificate and Dreamweavers and Flash certificates from Adobe. I have a question how quick a web designer has to be. Will employer need eny more certificates or that's enough or maby they don't really ceare about that at all? Can I ask them to pay for my future studies couse I'm thinking to do Network+,Linox+,Project+,Security+ and 3D courses? What is the time limits let's say to make a fully optimized XHTML site of about 20 pages with logo and flash images which u need to create by your self? As new in this industry I don't know how the things are going on at working place so interesting in everything how the things are. Do I need to do the pages from the scratch, will I be doing everithing from the begining to the end? will designers usually working in one place or they have to travel to clients, is it posible to work from home? What is the starting salary? I really appreciate in advance. Pls write wider if you can. Thank you all.

Certifications: CompTIA I-Net+, ACE dreamweaver cs3
    WIP: Macromedia Flash, Photoshop.
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As fast or faster than your boss or client requires. That said, if the design is sloppy, or if the client simply doesn't like it, then it doesn't matter how long it took you to do it... it'll have to be fixed or redone from scratch.

I could ask you this: how long does it take to paint a painting? As long as it takes. Every site is different, with its own set of challenges.

Whatever works. Build something your client will like.

Depends on the employer... they'll typically have their own system in place. If you're doing it on your own, then you set your own rules.

Again, that depends on what's already established by your employer. Some companies prefer to bring clients in to the development shop so they can see the process. Some companies prefer to travel to the client site so the developer gets a feel for what the client does. There's no hard-fast rules for these things, so there's no single answer to your question.

Yes, it is possible... but I certainly wouldn't expect that privilege starting out. Most web developers I know do not work from home; they commute to an office, where they might work alone on some projects, and they might collaborate with others in a team on other projects.

Whatever the going rate is for an entry-level web developer. That varies by city, region, and country.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Thak u for answer u r the man :)

4. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Any more suggestions?

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Perhaps try building some "standard" sites yoruself and keep a log of how many hours you put in and doing which elements (design, coding etc).

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I would suggest looking at producing your own web site mock-ups using Photoshop and creating your own style. If you have a good handle on XHTML/CSS ( semantic code) then you should be able to piece those mock-ups together no probs (without dreamweaver) in good time. I worked part-time for a company who was creating two web sites a day. They where very basic though (brochure web-sites) and dreamweaver was used on most of them which sped up the process!

Here is a good site that will teach how to mock-up and add code: www.css-tricks.com And if you need some inspiration on how to layout a web page....look here www.hv-designs.co.uk

Certifications: CIW Professional
  7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I don't think an employer will pay for training/exams that isn't relevant to the job, so things like Network+ might be out of the question.