Web design for beginners... advice much needed...

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by albertc30, Apr 2, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    Hope you all have a very nice Easter.
    Anyways, the wife wants to do a course, online, for web design.
    I must say that she knows nothing about any web design language. :oops:
    All she knows is to work with a computer.
    She's good at art and design and she's ever so enthusiastic about this.
    Any real advice on where to start and the best courses for beginners would be very much appreciated.
    A very nice weekend for all of you and bring on those Easter eggs.
    Thanks.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Check www.lynda.com probably the best in online training for web stuff.Their Adobe Dreamweaver training courses are brilliant!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Another place I would say is W3schools. They do tutorials from HTML to SQL and even have their own certs - I wouldn't/couldn't (as I have no direct experience with them apart from doing a couple of tutorials which I found useful) say that they're on par with CIW certs, as they are Certificates of Completion rather than qualifications as such :)

-Ken

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

As she's an artist and not a programmer (not a bad thing at all btw) I would suggest focusing on XHTML, HTML 5 and CSS + artistic side of things (layouts, photo editing, photoshop, banners).
    She won't be able to complete projects on her own due to lack of programming skills (everything is dynamic these days) but designers as such have their own place in the industry.

Hope that helps

WIP: Uhmm... not sure