WDS and Sysprep Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by BB88, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I have run Sysprepwith the /generalize /oobe switches and captured the the WIM via a WDS Capture Image.

If I deploy the WIM via WDS on one machine it works fine. If I deploy it again for testing purposes on that same machine, some of the settings have already been filled in even though I have remove all previous partitions and ran a format?

For example, if its been joined to the domain, then when redeploying the WIM it doesn't ask for a Computer Name the second time round, even though the computer name has been deleted from the AD.

Any ideas?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Any reason you're not using MDT? It's the next step up from WDS and still free.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. BB88

Can you Multicast with MDT?

EDIT: I see you can. I will toy with it on a VM and see what I come up with.

- - - Updated - - -

As we deploy different "images" for different classrooms based on subject which have custom start menus and registry settings (not networked/configured through group policy but local), how good is MDT with custom applications that are not Microsoft?

Or should I still create the reference image (not using MDT Applications/OOB Drivers/Packages), capture with MDT, create Task Sequence, run the Lite Touch Script and deploy it via MDT?

Surely I should just stick with WDS alone for this, and boot to PXE and use a Capture Image to WDS, and then run a Boot Image to deploy the WIM with an Unattend.xml?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Has it been removed from the domain before running the sysprep option ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  5. BB88

When I first created the image, it was never put on the domain. I just booted in to Audit Mode, done all my updates and such. Then ran sysprep.

6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Have you created an answer file for your WDS deployment ?

You should try MDT2012 as Simon mentioned as it much better for deployments and a bit easier to configure

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are your applications MSI based? if so then you should be able to script up something to deploy them with relative ease.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. BB88

Not using an answer file yet. See above for my concerns with MDT.

9. BB88

Nope, mostly .exe files pointing to license files or requiring various data entry.