WDS and MDT

Discussion in 'Software' started by TechTock, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I'm looking to automate deployments of windows 7/8 via pxeboot and know there are various methods of doing what I need. We can't buy SCCM so am looking at WDS and MDT. Are both of these deployment tools or am I getting confused with them. If they are what would people suggest using. Reading into it I suspect MDT is the way to go as it appear that it will inject drivers, applications and updates when imaging.

Also am i right in that with Windows 7 and onwards being a file based deployment I only need to build one master image for all makes and models of PC's and Laptops (all 64bit) and the driver install will do the rest?

I remember reading all this doing my MCITP but forgot it all as I thought I would never need to use it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It goes WDS - MDT - SCCM with regards to the capabilities of deployment so yes MDT is definitely a way forward, it's somewhat clunky but it does work.

You would also need WDS installed to let you PXE boot the devices.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Cheers Simon for the reply. Now been told we will consider SCCM. It would be great to learn it but it might be overkill for 120 PC in 2 sites. Will have to weigh SCCM and MDT both up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Not to mention the expense!

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

SCCM offers so much more than just OS Deployment, it offers patching, application deployment, asset reporting as well as desired configuration management.
    I have to be honest and say that it does make my life easier for management of servers and desktops.

Have a look at SCCM 2012 (which I haven't looked at yet) because there are some changes to the way SCCM is installed\configures.

I have a post here somewhere describing the steps required to install and configure SCCM and if you need something else let me know because I still have the documents available at home as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

We are an MS Gold partner so I think we get it cheap or free as part of our licence agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Simon, I think I was look at SCCM solely from the deployment perspective but patching and application deployment would be great to have as well under one management tool.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

WDS will do if you just need OS deployment. I did a 150 machine OS upgrade for a customer using this. You can create a system image with the drivers you need with sysprep then upload it to WDS.

After that deploy with WDS by booting off the NIC of the PC.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs