Waste Of time?

Discussion in 'A+' started by macleod2024, Aug 5, 2009.

1. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

Just keep applying. This is going to sound too high to be serious but I applied 83 times (saved in a folder) for different positions when I was contracting. After a year of applying up to 5 times a week for different positions I finally got one. I felt horrible from all the rejections but when I got a 30k USD yearly raise I quickly forgot about the 82 applications that didn't get me a new position. If I hadn't stuck it out I wouldn't have gotten it.

The economy sucks, the market sucks. Deal with it and keep applying, volunteer at a school or something so you have some experience on paper. Hell the library whatever.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA
  2. macleod2024

macleod2024 Bit Poster

Just thought Id let you know I got the Comptia Netmaster qualification and am now on to the MCSE.

Interestingly enough, the BBC ran a news report the other day, saying that 10% of the UK's companies are looking to outsource jobs, 50% of those jobs are going to be in IT. :cry:

I still job search from time to time, but Im really not all that bothered now, just enjoying the learning.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Netmaster+ 2009
    WIP: MCSE
  3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

I'm in the same situation mate, can't find a job so studying and holding down a delivery job part time till I get some luck, been this way for ayear so maybe this is our year mate :biggrin hope it goes alright for you.

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

took me 5 years with a 3 year break because I couldn't get anything. Don't do what I did just keep trying. If you want to work in IT and you study and practice then you will get there at some point. Getting your first IT job will be the hardest part of your IT career.

what is compTIA netmaster? is that something like the network +?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. macleod2024

macleod2024 Bit Poster

Thanks guys.

Let us know how you do beaumontdvd.

Im finding one of the toughest things is remembering everything I've learened because Im not using it everyday, whilst trying to study for the next exam.

6. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

im pretty sure its the N+ mate

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  7. macleod2024

macleod2024 Bit Poster

Apologies, I meant network+

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ok, I thought it was one of those training providers certs that make you think you have the N+ when you really don't.

like the guy who came on here once and had to do 4 exams with his TP to pass the A+ :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. macleod2024

macleod2024 Bit Poster

Oh I see.

No I've done the actual Comptia exam.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

IF that statistic can be believed, that doesn't mean that 50% of all IT jobs will be outsourced. It simply means that, of companies that are going to outsource jobs at ALL, half of those jobs will be in IT. What else COULD they outsource, realistically? You can't outsource cashier jobs... you can't outsource fast food service jobs... you can't outsource medical services... you can't outsource most jobs. Customer service and IT stuff are two that CAN be outsourced... and even then, you can't outsource MOST IT jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And, to further counter the outsourcing scaremongery, plenty of firms are bringing their IT functions back in-house (especially true amongst those who offshored as well as outsourced) because they're finding that the financial director who suggested it, implemented it and then f***ed off somewhere else with a massive bonus tucked in his back pocket pulled a con trick on the company & saddled them with a contract that doesn't give them the flexibility they need to make changes quickly, or without incurring absurd costs, or both. For instance - one government department I know is charged £500 every time they want to make a change to their firewall ruleset. That includes amending or adding ONE internal/external/dmz address.

The ones who offshored are in an even worse position, as any of the decent staff they had working support in Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai or any of the other big players in the offshoring market have long since left (ironically to take up positions abroad in higher-level roles!), leaving the absolute dregs, or new hires who (ahem) didn't go through the same stringent vetting processes as the original bods. This is why now when you get through to first line in Bangalore, instead of talking to some over-enthusiastic teenager, it's more like talking to the old girl who runs the drycleaners in your local high street. She probably knows as much about IT and has as much training in it as well.

Finally, if you get into IT before or during all this, as long as you get the experience under your belt, you'll move up the food chain - and the further up you go, the less likely you are to be outsourced.

Stick at it!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Don't be surprised in this current climate, thats pretty common! in-fact I'm not surprised you haven't heard anything, 15 is not a particularly large number of applications! Apply for everything that looks vaguely like what you want to do and accept all interviews, and take your pick from whats offered! Oh And N+ would be a great move, employers love to know first line support staff are knowledgeable in troubleshooting and basic network connectivity checks and having a cert like N+ (in addition to your A+) to validate this may give you an edge (although you have no prior experience)!

13. bubs

bubs Bit Poster

Hi

I am not even a+ registered yet. But i have a part-time voluntary I.t technician job. Perhaps get your foot in the door by going down the yellow pages IT repair shops and send them an email with your CV (thats what i did). Iv worked nearly 3months now, and because the guy is really safe he as agreed to say i have worked for him longer than i actually have, That way when i have my A+ i can apply for jobs with qualifications and experience. I personally mate would if you can finacially do it, is voluntary. :) good luck and keep your head up.8)

WIP: A+