wanting to switch over to Ubuntu 100% but..

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by michael78, Dec 12, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm wanting to switch over to using Ubuntu at work but there are a couple of questions.

1) We use remote control software (Dameware) to fix pc's located offsite is there a Linux equivalent (hopefully free as my manager wouldn't support me using Linux at any financial cost) and can you control Windows PC's/servers from a Linux Desktop.

2) Is there any reasons why an admin (me) using Linux in a Windows environment (All users and servers are Windows based) shouldn't use Linux.

The reason I want to do this is at home I don't have the time to concentrate on getting to grips with Linux to the level I would like so using it at work would be cool. The biggest problem is I'm worried I won't be able to support the users properly using Linux (Ubuntu).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ubuntu has a built in remote desktop client that connects to windows servers / clients really well.

I can't remember how you access it off hand, but I'll fire up Ubuntu at work tom if no one else can answer you before hand.

8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am definitely no Ubuntu expert either so really just another bump but from what I can glean Dameware will not run on Linux.

You can use OpenSSH to connect to windows boxes but I am not sure whether it would give you the control that Dameware does.

Check this link for more info on Open SSH.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p11.htm

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I can vouch for the RDP equivelant. It works really well. The gui aint as good as you can get when using XP to connect but it is good enough :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Here's how to connect to a Remote Windows Desktop using Ubuntu. It's quite simple really!

Applications > Internet > Terminal Server Client.

From there simply enter your login credentials and preferences for the connection.

8)

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

theres always VNC. Its freeware, can be installed on both linux and windows, Can be password protected (i believe it can also be set up to only accept connections from certain IP's), and allows you to remotely access a windows machine from linux, and vice versa.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

If I was your boss, I'd be worried about a drop in productivity while you got to grips with a system you're not familiar with. I 'm surprised he agreed to it. Still, good luck all the same.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. michael78

Cheers guys for the help much appreciated...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. michael78

My manager has a mental age of 5. He's just spent the day firing sharp objects at the wall. Basically to sum it up he's a bit of a tit.

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice Summing up! :biggrin :thumbleft :lol:

11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Very concisely put and it probably applies to (nearly) all managers!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. Pady

Pady Nibble Poster

ceratinly does to mine, that is when he is in the office anyway:dry

Certifications: A+, See Sig for HW Certs
    WIP: Network+ & MCP 70-270
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

glad to say not mine. My manager is ace. She knows her stuff, listens to any and all complaints/suggestions/rants/whinges/etc and actually gets back to you about them. Even if its a no, they will tell you why.

Her manager is good like that too. guess im just lucky.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Maybe someone should start a separate thread titled: "My Manager is a...". :wink: :offtopic

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. michael78

Lol, with my manager I could dedicate a whole forum to him...:biggrin