Wanting to gain Certification

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by THXbob, Sep 25, 2007.

1. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Hello all

Usuall introduction, I'm an IT Technician with no IT certification apart from a Computing Science Diploma from Stafford Uni and an old CNA (Certified Novell Admin) from NetWare 4.1!

I help to look after Novell NetWare network, 5.1 for file sharing print, GroupWise 5.5 for email and MS 2003 Server used for Terminal Server/MS 2000 Server running SQL. Our company has aprox. 70 pc's with Windows 98 and XP.

As I've sat on my arse for too long, I want to get back into studying so I've signed up tonight!

I want to do my MCSA then MCSE, but would it be benefical to start Comptia A+, Network+ first by doing self study? My boss the Finance Director wants me to start too so I don't see a problem in fees etc.

Thats enough of me, and many thanks to all your advice and help.

Bob

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As your already a time served tech I dont thin the A+ would be beneficial to you although it may help and if youre going to do the MSCA then A+ could help as the A+ and N+ count as two electives for the MSCA.

Welcome to the forums

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi THXbob,

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with GBL. I think that you should definately start with the A+ and N+. As an experienced tech these two certs shouldn't take you too long to aquire, I would think 3 months MAX. These certifications are now a prerequisite to work for some middle and large size companies.

After passing those two certs I suggest that you move onto the MCSA followed by the MCSE.

All of these certs can be achieved through self-study. Our learned friend BosonMichael is proof of that (check out his signature the next time you read one of his posts!).

Best of luck! :thumbleft

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Since you are already doing the work, I would skip the A+. Did you ever work towards the CNE and take the Network Technologies exam? If you did you might want to skip the Net+ too. Since you have experience the net+ might not be worth it. Mine hasn't been, got it after the MCSE NT 4.0 and after working for around 4 years.

you may want to start with the XP exam (270) or the server exam (290).

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

As Alex has said, I would have to disagree with the other comments and recommend A+ and N+ as your first port of call. If your already in the business or not, it will fill in gaps and cement the knowledge you have. If you do know it all already, even more reason to take the exams and prove it on your CV and to your employer.

Best of luck with the cert path, hope to see you around in the future! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also recommend the A+ and N+ to start out. Here's why:

As Alex has stated, if you already experienced enough to know the material, it shouldn't take you long to study. Get a good study guide, skim the parts you know, and focus on the parts you don't. If you already know it all, then great: you'll have two certifications you can use to prove to future employers you've "been there, done that". And if you happen to learn something along the way, then even better; it's something you needed to know anyway.

For the record, I got A+ and Network+ certified and wrote training products for them AFTER I already had 6 years of experience, plus the MCSE and CCNA... and I *still* learned new things while writing them. It can only make you a better tech.

Will the A+ and N+ help you down the line in your career? They just might. If I had two candidates applying for a network admin job, both with roughly equivalent amounts of experience, and both with the MCSE, but only one had the A+ and N+, I'd figure the tech with the A+ and N+ would be more well-rounded. Further, the A+/N+ tech would be better equipped to help guide lower-level techs when they have problems. I would expect my senior techs to know that stuff already. Thus, my hiring decision would be clear.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Thanks for the very quick replies!

I think I may start from scratch as its been a while since I did any study and start the A+ and N+. Hopefully these shouldn't take too long. I'll get the A+ and N+ study guides and make a start.

Many thanks

Bob

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, and yep! you made the right choice on going for the A+ and N+ study route. Cheerio:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just to say welcome to CF and that I also agree about tackling the A+ & N+ first. I was in a similar position to yourself a few years ago. Plenty of experience in the field, but I wanted to gain some certs to go along with that. I decided that the A+ was a good starting point into self study and took it from there. Even though I had lots of experience and skills in the subject areas that the A+ covers, I still learnt stuff that I didn't know already. GL with whatever path you decide to go down.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I can only add that I fully agree with Modey and Boson.

The A+ & Network+ do count as an elective for the MCSA and it's a great starting point, not only that but they will actually help you when it comes to the 70-291 exam.

Good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hey Bob,

Just noticed you're living in Alton, how long you lived there, I bet you used to love the noise from the firework displays at Alton Towers :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Hi Wizard

I can see the fireworks display from the back garden, been in Alton for about 10 years.

Although we get compensated for all that 'noise' with 20 free tickets to get into the park every year. Kids use them I never go :(

Bob

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!

I also agree with regards to taking your A+ and Net+.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA