Wanting a career in IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Doc_Flash, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Doc_Flash

Doc_Flash New Member

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm new here, so hello!
    I have a question or two I'd like to ask about certifications. I'm looking to change career's, currently I'm a Technical Operator in food production. I guess I should also mention I'm 33 yrs old.
    I have always had a passion for technology and computers, I've built and maintained my own systems at home along with helping friends and family out with some problems etc.
    I would like to get into the networking side of things - network engineer? (eventually) but as I'm just starting out would like to ask where is best to start?
    A couple of people I have spoke to suggest that I should start off with Windows 7 (MCSA) and then move onto the Server 2008, to be able to get my 'foot in the door' and find work at a help desk role then move into the networking side of things once I have some experience. I've also been told by some to do the Comptia network+ but then I've seen on forums some people say to skip that and go the CCENT route. Still, others have suggested going straight for the network+ followed by the Cisco certs and to ignore the Windows/Server certs.
    I would like to ask you guys & girls which route would you recommended to go. In your option which would allow me to find work more easier?
    Also I live in the U.K. and just want to ask if the Comptia certs are recognized here, I mean I know they are but are they worth it over here, they seem to be more popular in the States and I'm wondering if employers recognize them over here, I know they are entry level - so in my opinion I feel they would be good but if no one knows them here, is there a point in getting them?
    Sorry for the long post and thank you all in advance, any help/guidance or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. ad

ad Bit Poster

Hello and welcome to Certforums.

If you haven't already, you will definately want to read the below two pinned Threads, these are just above where you have started your thread in Training & Development.

*Certification, Training and Do's and Don'ts for people wanting to start in IT

*Entry Level IT Certifications and beyond

These pinned threads I think cover most of your questions and offer advice for your situation. I'm sure the more knowledgeable guys will be happy to answer any q's you might have in those threads if you don't get a reply here soon, I'm guessing you haven't got a reply yet because they are hoping you check those threads first! I'm not sure :)

I can say CompTIA certs are recognised here in the UK. At the moment until you get better feedback might be worth staying in your current job and doing self study in your spare time at home or even at work, using free resources online or cheap books and CD simulators for the most entry level certs/courses which tickle your fancy amongst CompTIA A+, N+ and the Microsoft MTA's.