WANTED: ICT Techician - Office based initially

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by DarBroLtd, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarBroLtd

DarBroLtd Guest

Company Name: DarBro Computers Ltd
    Offsite Work Locations: Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire/Cheshire
    Office Location: Just off junction 16 on the M6
    Managing Director: Darrin W Pretorius (the best boss in the world) :p

Qualifications Required: Where certifications are always helpful, they certainly do not tell me what you actually know. At the very least I expect you to be able to install WinXP (with all updates & drivers). If you can do that ... we can talk. You will be asked to bring your certs’ anyway though. Expect an interesting yet relaxed first interview.

Other Requirements: Car (in good working order) and a mobile phone (in good working order). Good communication skills are essential with plenty of patience and good manners required when talking to customers and fellow employees.

What you will be doing: Initially, you will be office based repairing PC's and Notebooks which will also involve assembling new PC's and setting up new notebooks. We are also a Certified Epson Express Centre so duties will also involve troubleshooting Epson printer problems and then processing warranties if required. This is easy stuff and training will be giving for the Express Centre side of DarBro (sometimes at Epson Head Office).

If you are the right candidate and prove your skills within the office environment, you will progress onto visiting Primary Schools (our main client base) for which Police Clearance will be required due to working in close proximity with young children. We also have a corporate customer base as well as home user callouts.

About DarBro: We are a small family run business. We like to think that our working environment (both on and off site) is fairly relaxed. However, while trying to retain this relaxed atmosphere, we NEVER lose sight of who pays the bills - our customers. 90% of our client base have been reached through ‘word of mouth’ referrals. We have a very good reputation which any member of staff is expected to strive to maintain and promote at ALL times.

What would help your application: Indepth knowledge of Win2003 and RM CC3 experience would be a big plus but not essential.

Salary/Wages: I have specifically not mentioned this and will not mention what you may or may not earn until I interview you. Why not you may ask? Well, I need candidates who are going to put my business and my customers first. If all you want to know is how much you will be earning ... I don't need you. Sorry if that sounds rude, but I want someone who actually WANTS to work for us and not someone who just wants to pay bills.

Future plans: We are about to embark on a marketing campaign aimed at Primary Schools as we wish to grow DarBro a little more. Although only looking for one technician now, we will most certainly hold unsuccesful applicants on file for future interviews. We currently have 1 roving technician and 3 office staff. Our aim is to increase that to 5 roving technicians as our customer base increases.

Finally, read the information at http://www.certforums.com/forums/forum22.html and prepare well. The information and advice in those pins are excellent.

If I have read the rules of these boards correctly, you will need to PM me your interest (assuming the admins have authorised this post). I look forward to hearing from you and perhaps even meeting you in person.

Darrin

2. DarBroLtd

DarBroLtd Guest

WoW! :eek:

No one looking for a job :blink

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I always keep my eyes open, but the distance is too far. If I went for this job, the wage has to be very high indeed - there's no point going for a job that has:

1. lower salary &
    2. Spend more money on fuel

Man doesn't work for love alone :biggrin

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Whilst Im not interested myself, it being too far (and Im in dev), I hope you dont mind if I ask a question or two that might be of interest to the prospective candidates within this forum?

1. Are you willing to assist in the successful candidate obtaining relevant certifications?
    2. Are you willing to offer any relocation assistance for the ideal candidate? If so, what?
    3. Some candidates may well be interested, but be put off by virtue of not being able to drive or not having a car. Are you willing to waive this as an initial entry requirement (since it appears that most work initially would be working from within your centre)? If so, are you willing to assist the successful candidate in preparing for this in any way (ie time off to take driving lessons, company car, etc)?

Please note that there isnt really a right or wrong answer to those questions, and you arent actually required to answer, but doing so might help those candidates who are perhaps interested but unsure for any reason.

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Well id be interested but i think Coventry is a little to far to commute.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would be very interested in this position but I can not afford to move that far away at the moment, if the position was still available in 6 months let me know.

Steve

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I almost never apply for positions that don't state the salary.

Like it or not the majority of people work to pay the bills, not for the love of their employer.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd personally want to know how much i'd be earning, I dont go to work for the fun of it at the end of the day. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you won't list some sort of general salary range... I don't need your job. Sorry if that sounds rude, but if you want someone of my caliber, you're going to have to pay for it, especially for me to even consider leaving my job.

Not that I would consider leaving the US for a UK job... just making a point. Remember, the BEST employees are already employed and making a good living. If you're not looking for the best employees... then I wish you the best of luck with whomever you find.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I must apologise in advance to the admins, mods and general public! I am always pestered by agencies with these kinds of job! I'm also most peeved with the requirements and the expectations of their client for what is crap wage/return! Now that an actual company has posted the same sort of pompous requirements etc I feel compelled to challenge it! I know that they are desperate people trying to break into IT and I know that some will apply for this position - that's fair enough - but I would advise that you DO NOT give the time of day to ANY employer that will not disclose something simple as a salary for what is an entry level position! 9 times out of 10 you will be out of pocket as you will be expected to use YOUR OWN MEANS OF LIVING i.e car & phone for the benefit of the company!

The advert does not mention any benefits - i.e. salary or training, holiday entitlement or paid expenses.

Finally I'd like to advise those thinking of applying that current business mileage rate for using your car is 40p a mile. Claiming for incurred costs on a mobile cannot be claimed as an expense UNLESS the mobile phone bill is invoiced to the company. You cannot claim for used "free" minutes full stop!

So you're not going to provide a car or a mobile? You've mentioned nothing on reimbursements?? The potential employee has to use their private facilities for your company's benefit??

So really you need someone with experience in building and repairing PCs and Notebooks! Also they need to do perform first line jobs such as chasing warranties...So why the W2K3 requirement?

Again, will you be providing business mileage, car and company phone? Or is that at the technician's expense? And there is no longer such thing as "Police Clearance" - it's a CRB check by the Criminal Records Bureau!

Why? You haven't mentioned any server work? You haven't even mentioned training - well apart from Epson which in actual fact is a Sales pitch described as training.

Money talks and bullshit walks! Since posted, the above quote has probably walked the distance of the Moon and back! Why don't you just stay National Minimum Wage instead of spinning the above yarn? People want to work but they also need to work for a living i.e. PAYS THE BILLS! I find it insulting that you propose that people waste their time by applying, interviewing and then not finding out the wage until A LOT OF TIME HAS PASSED! I'd suggest you just publish the salary range that you are willing to put on the table!

I'd suggest that you forget employing another IT body in favour of hiring a marketing professional. You'll certainly not gain any business if you word your marketing in the same manner as this "Job Advertisement"

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst D_D makes some good points that I'm not going to disagree with I feel that I should point out that perhaps the OP was simply (indirectly) stating that the salary may be negotiable depending upon your skills and experiences, Allowing people to work because they want to work (and get resonable wages for it), not simply so that they can get the experience on the CV and move on for the next big pay cheque.

Just My Thoughts. 8)

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Totally agree with Michael on this one really. I can appreciate that you don't want someone who is solely money oriented, but there are many many people who aren't like that, but still have to pay the bills and need to know if they can 'afford' to take a job on. I have the experience and skills to earn much more money than I am currently on, but I don't because I like my job and it more than suits my current situation. I did however say to my current employers that I couldn't consider the position unless it paid more than they were advertising for as it wouldn't be economical for me to change jobs otherwise. Fortunately, they knew me well (from contract work) and were prepared to pay the extra. I have probably wandered off topic / point but I'm sure there is one in there somewhere. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. DarBroLtd

DarBroLtd Guest

You see, if anyone was REALLY interested in getting a job all the questions asked thus far would be secondary to actually getting your foot in the door and getting that all important interview.

I have been both an employee and an employer so I know how both sides work and think. I have been an employee for some 15 years working up to senior management before opening my own business which has been running succesfully for the past 5 years (first as a sole trader) in UK and 4 years prior to that in Zimbabwe.

The advert has been constructed carefully and critically in order to weed out our 'IT Support Officer' types who think they have all the answers.

This all just a mute point now anyway as the position has already been filled through a similar site using the exact same advert.

So what will the succesful applicant be getting then?

* Between £8 and £13.50/hour (capable of clearing £2000 a month if she works hard enough - yes, I said she). Rates vary dependant on where the work is carried out and on what.
    * Phone contract paid for.
    * Christmas bonus.
    * Financial year end performance bonus based on profits and numerous other perks that I won't bore you all with.

Anyway, good luck to you all who are striving to get certified. Its just the first step in a long struggle to find a job you will be happy in and looked after well.

Since we (DarBro) continue to expand, I'm sure we will be looking for more techies in the not to distant future so feel free to PM anyway and I may be in touch down the line sometime.

Thanks admins and mods for allowing this advert. Hopefully a few people can learn something from the various comments passed based on nothing more than assumption and reading between the lines instead of taking that first step and sending the PM.

14. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

haha...whatever mr "best boss in the world" - even when I was an "IT Support Officer" my benefits and salary were far in excess of your offerings! Plus the advert that I applied to was far MORE descriptive then what you posted!

Filled the job already??? But you posted this at 10:11 today:

So you've filled the position in 4 hours?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but obviously wanted people to waste time pm'ing you to find this out??? Couldn't you have just posted that the job was filled?

I must update my profile! :D

Please let me know when the receivers are in - I'm always up for a bargain! :twisted:

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  15. greenbrucelee

BTW if someone is going to use thier own car for this job are you going to help towards their insurance because most insurance companies dont insure you or increase the price if you are using your own car for business use.

for 8 quid an hour sounds a bit crap.

16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I totally agree with the points made above by MichaelBoson and some others. At the end of the day a lot of people work hard and deserve a fair wage and salary and with an attitude displayed in your previous post DarBroLtd.

Left to me alone call it pride or whatever I would not even make a phone call to your company let alone apply for the role.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. greenbrucelee

After reading the replies from this place I retract my previous post, I can already hear the ballif truck arriving:twisted:

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

DarBroLtd has asked that this thread be removed. So that people don't wonder why it's suddenly disappeared, I'm going to lock it and leave it here for awhile. I'm also going to confer with the rest of the CF staff about whether or not this could have been handled better. Thanks.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+