Want to start Java programing.....but how ?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by raziel, Apr 10, 2012.

1. raziel

raziel Bit Poster

Hi. I’ve passed A+ 2 months ago and now it’s time to move on. I decided to study Java programing. Probably you will ask me “why did you do a+ than ?”. I did it only for myself, not for career. I’m not interested in IT Support, that’s why I won’t carry on by studing Network + or Security +. I wanted to do A+ because it is easy and I wanted to start with something easy. First I though that I’ll study A+ in a college, I was thinking about Distance Learning Courses | E-Learning Qualifications | Home Learning College. They told me that A+ cost about £ 1200 – that was one year ago. My friend adviced me to buy book and study it by myself and than buy exam, that way I could save almost £1000. So I decided to listen to him with A+ but definitely study Java programing in college after this.......but now I’m not so sure.

I didn’t call them yet, but I assume that the price will be at leat £ 1200. It’s not that it is not worth paying that money I’m just thinking about doing it again by myself. Especially that this college as name suggest provide me with study material and I learn by myself. I have also 24/7 contact with my personal Tutor. That kind of college is the only one I can “go to” as with my work I have no time for anything else. I prefer to study at home.
    On the other hand paying over £ 1200 just for the books and online/phone support (+ exam fees) it’s a little bit to much, don’t you think ? Please I want to know your opinion.

Let’s say that I’ll do it by myself. As far as I know this course in that college finishes with 1Z0-851 exam which is Java Standard Edition 6 Programmer Certified Professional Exam leading to OCP certification, see for yourself:

Oracle Java Programming Course Training | Oracle Certified Professional Qualifications

Are there any books that will prepare me for this exam ? Books that are especially written to prepear to 1Z0-851 exam, like Michael Meyers book “CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide” prepears especially to A+ exam. ? Second question: how and where can I book 1Z0-851 exam. I booked A+ in Prometric, but they don’t do java exams. And last: where can I get ifnormations how this exam look like – is it multi option test ? Or maybe I have to write a specific program ?

Please advice me what to do. Go to college or do it by myself.

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The Open University offers a few Java modules, as well as many other modules relevant to software development.

M255 - Object-oriented programming with Java - Open University Course
    M256 - Software development with Java - Open University Course
    M257 - Putting Java to work - Open University Course

They are all level two courses and generally the OU recommend starting with a level one course.

Failing that there are lots of part time Computer Science Foundation Degrees around at local colleges.

Or maybe just pick up a good book ? Not read this but people seem to like it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...p=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0273759760

Yes I think the Home Learning College is a little overpriced, and there are a lot dubious companies in this sector, so be careful.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    JonnyMX likes this.
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Might be a bit basic for you but I had an email from this site about learning the basics of programming

CodeAcademy

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm with Dmarsh on this one.

I started a Java course with the OU a while back.
    Prices are on the rise, but they are miles above what you will get from a training provider.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. florinmoc

florinmoc New Member

"Java How to Program: International Version" by Deitels has finally turned the light one in my mind as to how Java (and programming in general) works. I'd class it as THE book in Java programming. It is a bit wordy sometimes, so when you read it again you kindda strugle to keep focus.