Want to start CCNA course and know about commsupport.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by gift07, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Will cisco become a cert that is needed as a requirement in the future for jobs in networking?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Like I keep saying courses like mine are one piece of the puzzle to exam success not the whole puzzle. I have like everyone else here also had to sit exams and plenty of them, self study complemented with classroom based training in most cases.

The exams which I passed of off my own back with no guidance were very hard, nobody to lean on to check if things were correct or not.

Instructor led training has a place in a persons career development, despite some peoples impression that we are all evil, we are not all sharks.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, but it would help. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

In all fairness the above quote from your website seems to suggest the course is enough to pass the CCNA. Telling the students how much study is involved once they start the course is a little late...

Sorry to be harsh but that's why people around here get so annoyed with training companies. They sell unreal expectations to students to get them through the door and only then do the students realise the extent of the task ahead.

Reading through your FAQ further re-enforces this. Leaving potential students thinking they can show up for 6 days and become a CCNA.

and if they continue to read on

But the best part has to be when you actually describe a bootcamp and distance yourself from it.
    Sorry to break it to you but most bootcamp courses will offer hands on learning. However like your course they do so over such a woefully inadequate time frame that it doesn't matter.

Bottom line – this is a bootcamp

Again I apologise for what might seem like a personal attack. I assure you it isn't. However whilst your motives might be good the execution is text book 'bootcamp'.

5. mrlogic0

mrlogic0 Bit Poster

Mr Kif - I am with you: Don't expect to get CCNA without further study & practical exp, hence, I am studying via MANY VARIOUS METHODS to make sure I cover all bases. I have a dozen routers & switches for labs + sims.

I spoke to Joe at commsupport and found him to be very amiable and not at all cocky or heavy-handed. Joe sounds like a down-to-earth type of guy and did not make any false promises. He expects you to put in a lot of work. "Bootcamp" or not - who cares? I know that it will help me with my exams and skills/knowledge. It is just another method of helping you learn.

My plan is to go to him a week or two before I take my exam(s) to re-inforce my skills & knowledge.

I have been around for a while and not naive enough to think that I will land a high-paying job with my CCNA, but it will help me with getting a job - no question.

I hang around CertForums and have found that most of you KnowItAlls (yes you know who you are "can't get a job without experience", etc type of people) are Dream Stealers. Always negative.

Some newbie comes here for advice and you Ar****les basically tell them that they are wasting their time and money. Why don't you encourage them instead???

I teach for a living and will always encourage my students, no exceptions.

YOU MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL.

PS - I know you bunch of losers will remove this post - well that is your perogative. It's your forum. As for me - I shall drop in from time to time to see how many other people you discourage from persuing their dreams.

PPS - the REAL Bruce Lee was my hero...

Goodbye!!!

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Engineering - IT; Wireless#
    WIP: A+, Net+, CWNA, CCNA
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I've said it before and I'll say it again here:

All a certification shows is that you can pass a test. :twisted:

The real test starts when you get the initial phone call for an interview.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Obviously your time here hasn't been well spent. If you took a few minutes to browse the many posts on this forum you'd see people who give up their time to help others learn the ropes. They offer technical advice and career advice based on their years of experience in the industry and ask for nothing in return.

Sometimes that advice isn't what people want to hear, but it's always honest and offered with good intent. It's a shame you've decided to leave but based on the content of your post I doubt you'd have contributed much to the community.

So this loser wishes you the best of luck for the future ...

8. Sparky

I just think we are offering an opinion, what’s wrong with that? How many people who sign up to this forum saying that they are studying MCSE or CCNA for their first cert actually pass it? Not many I reckon!

Nobody discourages anyone not to do certs or not to go with a training provider, an alternative method is to self study so why not consider that when weighing up the options? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

Does that mean you can do the Job in real life? No but it can give you a grounding.

Good I hope it works out for you

Without experience.....I disagree

People aren't being negative they are being realistic, someone with no experience in a real job wont get a networking job even with the CCNA, it may show they are willing to learn but they'll still have to start at the bottom and work upwards.

People are encouraging them, I spoke to Joe earlier on in this thread and its the mis-information of what certs people should be doing thats wrong and they are usually put out by these training providers that offer false info, I'm glad Joe isn't one of them.

Is that some sort of dig at me?

QUOTE=mrlogic0;198907]Goodbye!!![/QUOTE]

See ya

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately, us 'arseholes' are the ones actually IN the industry - many of whom have suffered through the bullshit that TPs spout to prospective (ahem) 'students'. Yes, a paper CCNA might get a job with no real experience but if that job involves configuring actual Cisco gear in a production environment I'm pretty damn sure they will get found out the first time they stick a switch with a higher revision number into a network that already uses VTP, or when they can't figure out when to use a crossover cable and when to use a straight-through one, or how to set the duplex speed on both ends of a point to point link to avoid a mismatch, or why the MTU size matters when dealing with VPNs... etc etc etc

We're not 'dream stealers'. Far from it. What we are is a counterpoint to some flash 25 year old salesman with glue in his hair selling an impossible dream to prospective clients. You cannot, cannot CANNOT pass the CCNA without hands on experience - at least not coming out of it with any credit anyway. You WILL be found out on the job very shortly. Then what will you be? Just another bod sitting around with his buddies saying 'I used to be in the IT game. It's a tough racket'.

And where on Earth did you get the idea that your post would be removed? I've been visiting this forum on and off for about eighteen months now - with the exception of spamming and shilling I can count on the fingers of one knee the number of posts I've seen that were removed.

You need to wind your neck in my friend.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think he's taking a dig at all of us "losers" who tell people the truth instead of what they want to hear.

To the contrary, we're not a bunch of Dream Stealers. In fact, if you listen to what we advise, you'll realize that we often encourage people that their dreams CAN be reached... and if they pursue them carefully and deliberately, they can advance FAR faster than people who try to... well... do things the way you're advocating, which is getting a bunch of mid-to-high-level certs and trying to advance without experience. That simply doesn't work.

Sorry, mate... we're Dream Guiders. But don't believe us... just ask those who have taken our advice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. BosonMichael

I kinda thought the post might be removed when he started the personal attacks, calling people "know-it-alls", "ar****les", "losers" and taking a dig at ole GBL. To be honest, I'm glad it's staying so we can address the attack.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I didnt take it as a personal attack.. i thought it was quiet interesting actually, in an oh dear someones having a bad day kinda way. It is his/hers opinion though and he/she is entitled to it.

Democratically speaking, he/she is in the minority and therefore their opinion does not carry much weight around here. That coupled with the immature attitude, will not sway the masses to come on board with their beliefs. There are better ways to make yourself heard, get people to listen, pursuade, debate etc :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. greenbrucelee

The fact is I already said previously mis information is where things are wrong 'get the CCNA with no experience you'll earn 37k from the word go and be top system admin for a blue-chip company' yeah right.

I always knew that certs like MCSE and CCNA are for people with experience before I even joined CF and got advice on where I should be going, the problem is other people don't and they a mislead by these companies who at the end of the day just want your money.

We here at CF try to advise or point someone in the right direction obviously if someone has signed with a training provider and has past the cooling of period there is nothing that can be done.

But does it not show with some of them that they have bitten of more than they can chew when they ask if they are doing the wrong certs after signing up? Of course it does.

Sometimes we may get lucky at CF and advise someone whilst they are still in the cooling off period then they can cancel before their studies start. This is why we advise them, its not ha ha you've f***** up by doing a course you shouldn't we are trying to help.

Now I found this place because I was looking for info on the A+ and courses I had already done my research on what I SHOULD be doing certwise as someone who wants to get into IT.

I think the main problem with people wanting to get into IT and doing certs that are way past their experience level is money and the alure of the big pay packet and this sort of misinformation needs stamping out and truth telling. This is why we at CF advise.

15. Sparky

True, also the only criteria for signing up to a training provider is if you have the money or not. This obviously doesn’t show if you are cut out for working in IT. Furthermore some peeps think after they have signed up then that’s the job done and they can just cruise to the MCSE.

Then you get the ‘Ive been ripped off by my training provider’ type posts...... :rolleyes:

16. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Blimey, it's getting a bit warm in here, was it something I said.

Chaps, Discussing, politics, religion, experience before certs, or certs before experience, or the price of bread. frankly we can go around in circles for a long time.

We have to weigh up our options as individuals based on the evidence that we, as individuals, ought to gather before making life changing choices, especially ones such as changing career, this forum is a source of information, but only one source. The advice and opinions here are generally good and dispensed by people that have experience, this advise might sometimes come across as negative but on the whole it is positive and encouraging although there is a general air of "tread very carefully" which can be interpreted as "negative".

Like all important choices it is imperative to ask as many people (Those that have experience) for their opinion on what is the best course of action, be it buying a car, a house, where to go and eat Saturday evening or what the best route into I.T is.

Now lets say we take the example of I.T training, why not; since we are in an I.T forum. Well some decide that reading manuals for a couple of months (years) then going for the exam is the best route for them, some complement this self study with additional material like CBT's with possibly some hardware to boot so they can practice on, some may even take a course with a training company.

I will always suggest to my students that they use all means at their disposal to gain as much knowledge as possible not to use one to the exclusion of another.

Whichever route they take they must decide based on the facts they have gathered; perfect or flawed thats what they have to work on, it is their responsibility to ask as many questions as possible; "Rule 4:No Such thing as a stupid question (If you want to know the 5 rules of networking, come on one of my courses:D)

This evening I had a call from a young chap that saw my site, he wanted to come on the CCNP courses, I thought ok, very nice, so I started asking him some questions about his experience, it turns out he did not have even an A+ to his name and was wondering why his laptop kept getting different IP addresses and here he is talking about coming on a CCNP course, the course that makes grown men cry. Now what do you think I said to him??

a. Yeah sure no worries, just sign on the dotted line

b. Come on the ccna course

c. Go buy the Network+ book, read it get back, maybe do the exam then come back to me and we will talk again

Put it this way, he had a narrow escape, if he had dialed another number he would right know be a few thousand pounds lighter.

I don't know where I am going with this, but I would like it to end here, I really appreciated Mr Logic "taking a bullet" for me and I thank Mr Kif for his positive review of the course and I would even like to thank blackninja for his comments (Although we did not run IPSEC until the last week in September, just checked I said October but it was last week in September), we cannot grow as a company if we do not listen to our customers. I am also reviewing our FAQ's to make sure that we do not mislead anyone. I must add one further point before I would like to lay this particular thread to rest and that is; always treat people like you want to be treated.

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  17. BosonMichael

I'm extremely glad to hear that. You and I might have different opinions on certification vs. experience... but at least you don't (seem to) take money without regards to the consequences. Cheers for that.

18. christ69

christ69 New Member

Hi Guy's, this is my first post so be kind. The reason i'm posting on this thread is i'm about to do a course with Commsupport (no i don't work for them). Also after reading this thread i felt i had to say what i thought.

I'm a 35 year old man with my own retail franchise and have worked in retail management for many years. I'm lucky enough to have the time and money to re-train. Working in IT should have always been my career but for various reasons i ended up selling them more than repairing them but i'm the one who everybody calls when they have a problem. (I've never not sorted one out). Anyway, i have a few good friends that work in various it and telecom industries, as well as a mate thats CCIE. When i asked their advice on which Certs to start with the unanimous answer was CCNA. I've also spoken to emloyers for there opinion as well.

Now, i'm not stupid to think i will land a 37k job straight off and experiance counts for a lot but an employer likes someone who off their own back has gone out and go a qualifictaion, it show commitment and enthusiasum. Also i bring a lot more to the job, i may have no network experince other than a CCNA but i've managed 30+ people, dealt with budgets, and don't get wasted every night and late for work.

When my friend took his CCNA the only configuring was to set the passwords, i can tell you now its a lot harder than that now and the non-vendor specific part of the course is much better than the N+.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is people who say you won't get a job without experience is missing the point that everyone is different.(and how do you get experiance if you can't get a job) I know people who have worked in networking for years and still can't pass their CCNA.

I know i will start at the bottom when i join a company but i will also make sure i rise through the ranks quickly, thats just the way i am.

I've read both ICND1 and ICND2 books, i'm doing the commsupport course after visiting them for the free days training, i will then read the books again, do a few boson tests, drive my CCIE mate mad for a couple of weeks then i will take the exam and PASS......and i know you all wish me good luck......

People who are changing careers stay positive and if you want it enough you will succeed.

Christ69

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCSE
  19. Sparky

Fair play mate, everyone has to pick their own path to try and get into IT.

What’s that supposed to mean btw? Are you trying to imply that young people get wasted and are late for work?

I think the point many of us are making is that the CCNA isn’t the best cert to start with when trying to get into IT. The A+ and Network+ are great for getting the foundation knowledge so why not start there?

I have just been dumped with a ‘paper’ CCNA at work. Here are a few things he didn’t know….

*ADSL has a different upstream and downstream
    *How to configure a static IP on a PC
    *What NAT is.

Not great is it? :dry

20. christ69

christ69 New Member

I do agree that isn't good at all. But with any line of work, you get the good with the bad.
    I see your point of view with the A+ and N+ and that that can get you in at the bottom to get experiance and believe me i've looked at a lot of options. I felt that when i looked at the A+ and N+ with my current knowledge i could propbably pass the A+ now....with a little reading up on the course and i'm sure that whats covered in the CCNA would be enough to get the N+ (correct me if i'm wrong).

What i mean by all this is ......i'm willing to start at the bottom anyway and work up....although with a kid on the way and a mortgage...i don't want to be at the bottom for long...... If i came to you with CCNA and willing to learn and start at the bottom and another guy/gal turned up with N+, and lets say both gave a good interview and you had to train both up anyway surley the CCNA would edge it???? And down the line after gaining experiance has to count well then...especally when your working with engineers who can't pass it.

It's quite scary when changing careers, and you don't know who to believe for the best but the new CCNA exam i'm told and judging from the books is quite indepth and there are alot of jobs like pre-sales - post sales - telecoms... that just want the CCNA cert to show you have a basic understanding of Networking and they will train you on the rest.

Enthusiasm and willingness to learn for some poistions can out way an experinced guy with 10 years under his belt, stuck in his ways, only works 9-5 and dosen't want to learn....(i'm not saying thats anybody here but it happens).

And in the back of my mind i've always told myself that if i can't get a job with just ccna, then i will do A+ N+ and an mcse if need be...but i'm sure if a get an interview i can convice the person that they are getting a guy with little experiance but someone who is passionte, hard working and will be a valued member in very little time..... one thing i can do is sell myself but i'll never say i can do this if i can't...i hoping by being honest and enthusiastic some employer out there will give me a break and i will repay them with hard work...and few beers every onw and then.......

By the way are you replacing that guy?????? only kidding!!!!!!!

Christ69

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCSE