Want to start CCNA course and know about commsupport.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by gift07, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrKif

MrKif New Member

No Worries, i understand your reply perhaps i shouldn't have been as sensitive myself?
    Blackninja, you seem to be saying you went on the commsupport course in London but are reccomending a US based course, is that right?
    Yep you are right about breaks, we seem to have them every hour or 2 but that suits me fine as it gives my tired brain a chance to rest!
    Anyway best way to settle it for anyone who isn't certain, is give them a call and go to one of the free days. This will be my last post on the subject as i dont want to come across as though i am working for Joe, just felt he does give decent value and as such said so.

WIP: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nah, no harm, no foul. As long as we're OK with each other in the end, that's all that matters. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. blackninja36

blackninja36 New Member

The usa course is a home study with email support, i am from the UK.

Don't get me wrong Joe is a nice guy but the course was not worth the money.

4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Blackninja

If you had issues with the course why did you not rise them during that week.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I may be wrong mate but I belive blackninja is promoting or spamming a course imo that looks v dodgy or at least the bloke teaching it does :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. cisco lab rat

Let me assure you neither the course nor the bloke promoting it is dodgy, if we were we would not be up front in openly inviting people to sit in our courses or come on "free one day intro to cisco" course, if we were con men would we do such a thing, if we had even the slightest doubt about the course we would never allow this.

We believe in what we do so much we open our doors to allow people to "try before they buy" seems honest to me.

I will now don the cape and mask and help others in this forum to achieve I.T greatness. (I am not here to sell)

Cheer everyone

Cisco lab rat

7. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Chris Bryant is probably the most well known CCIE on the net. Nothing dodgy about him ....

However it seems strangely suspicious that the people praising commsupport all registered around the same time :biggrin

8. blackninja36

blackninja36 New Member

I figured the course was not so good in retrospect.

So I could not have told you Joe.

Are all them negitive points I made true?? Yes

Are you a nice guy?? Yes

It's not personal Joe (AKA Cisco lab rat) I just didn't think the course was as good as it could be.

The course is too rushed, too many breaks and too many interruptions.

Covers things that is not needed for the CCNA, do frame relay labs instead, as I came away from your course knowing very little about frame relay.

9. Node

Node Byte Poster

Can we ban the lot of them just for fun? :D:D:D:D

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  10. cisco lab rat

Blackninja.

One of the reasons that we increased the length of the course to 6 days was to allow us to spend more time on the important topics, such as VLAN's, spanning tree, intervlan routing, OSPF and EIGRP, we are also going to increase the amount of time that we are spending on Frame Relay and drop the practical on IPSEC. We still finish late around 6:30pm, so that we can cover all of the subjects, students have mentioned in the past the pace was quite intense and I have addressed it by increasing the course length at no additional cost to the students.

When students suggest how the course can be improved or modified I do take them seriously, ultimately it is not me that has to pass the exam, it is them.

I understand what you mean when you say "in retrospect". The course has come along in leaps and bounds since you were on it during the summer, and we have at the moment a good course, but it took a lot of pain and adjustment to understand what to do and what not to do and we are now seeing the results.

Like I said in the first post, I invite you back for free to see for yourself, to sit on the course once again. I am going to put my money where it counts.

JohnBradbury, I check the searches that people perform in google to find my website, and I found it unusual that the name "commsupport" was being googled, so I googled it myself and came across this site, I saw the feedback left by one of my current students, I did not suggest that they leave any feed back, they did it under their own initiative, I joined to thank him in public.

There is no foul play here!

11. JohnBradbury

That's a pretty good offer!

Joe forgive my skepital side I guess I've spent so much time online it's warped me :biggrin

Offering him a second chance at the course is great customer service and I have to give credit where credit is due. Stuff like this really puts a big thumbs up in my mind when it comes to a company. I'm not involved in the CISCO arena but I'll make a mental note of the company should I ever need it.

12. cisco lab rat

Our free retake is company policy, we want people to come away thinking that they learnt something

I do not live in a bubble, I have attended many, many courses in my time, I am realistic enough to know that I will not understand everything being said, it is not possible to digest all of the information 100%, and people will always go away and see a topic explained from a different perspective that makes sense, this was my point in one of my earlier posts, that we are not the complete puzzle we are only a small piece of the whole puzzle any training company that tells you that all you need to do is sign on the dotted line and BAM your are a superstar network engineer ready to take on any networking challenge is negligent and lying to you.

You have to always complement any training course with your own studies, effort and time. Do not expect to roll into course a with zero knowledge on the first day and leave day 5 or 6 understanding everything 100% by rote is not possible, you the student must make the effort, courses are there to make sense of complex topics, it's up to you to learn them, we will tell what is normal when it is not so.

I could take out all of the extra topics such as HSRP and etherchannel and intervlan routing using Layer 3 switches, but we choose to keep them in since we believe they make for a more complete network engineer, Due to Blackninjas comments we are going to bin the IPSEC practical this week to spend twice as much time on Frame Relay.

Like I said when students make comments we listen.

13. cisco lab rat

I meant to say "we want to people going away having learnt something"

My english is not so good, I have only had 34 years of practice:D

14. blackninja36

blackninja36 New Member

Anyway I wish you all the best, and I'm glad the course is evolving.

Spending a bit more time on Frame Relay (maybe some labs) will make for a much better course.
    Why don't you email some of your previous students?

Just remember "You can't please everybody, all the time"

Going to sign off on the subject now.

15. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I did semester 1 of CCNA but had to give it up in Semester 2 due to business commitments sadly.
    But got to get back to it again, but will go through a local college as it's easier for me.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  16. cisco lab rat

Yes blackninja you are right, we can't please everyone, but that does not mean we can't try at the very least to improve on what we have.

By the way, cheers to GIFTO7 for coming to pay us a visit today in the classroom.

Cheers

Joe

17. gunga_jim

gunga_jim Bit Poster

Getting back to the original question - can you pass the CCNA exam in 5-6 days?

Absolutely, categorically NO WAY.

Can you use it to fill in the gaps after a grounding in cisco? Ooooh Yes.
    I would suggets that if you are using the cisco self-study route then probably after 6-9 months of hardcore study then you should be ready.

I thought that i'd be able to do the whole BSCI for CCNP in 30 days, but after the break, work commitments and family... after 26 Days i've only just finished EIGRP!!

I've still got to do OSPF, MULTICASTING, IS-IS, BGP and IPv6!!! Then and only then may i think about doing one of these courses - as a study aid. If you think you can do one of these courses and come out as a network engineer then (unless you have a photographic memory) i would say that you'd be mistaken.

My opinion.

Certifications: MCP & CCNA
    WIP: CCNP maybe CCVP whilst i'm there...
  18. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

jim, I agree with your opinion! I attempted the CCNA last year and to me it seemed quite a challenge without previous experience! However, I did read the books etc and learnt quite a lot that has come in use for my current job - but not nearly enough to tackle the exam...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  19. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I'm thinking of buying a couple of routers to practice on before going back to CCNA.
    I intend to get a good grounding before going back.
    This coupled with an on-going IT project i'm involved in may give me a bit more networking knowledge.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  20. JohnBradbury

About 12 months ago I picked up the CCNA study set for some bedtime reading. I had no intention of sitting the exam but I did want to have a general overview of the topics.

I openly admit that it was tough going, far more difficult than any other topic I've covered. So I'm totally in agreement, no way this could be done just off the back of this course.

Lots of home study and hands on experience needed ...