Want to learn SQL

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by rico2005, Feb 4, 2005.

1. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

Hi,

In my job I currently support a piece of software which is essentially a user friendly interface for a SQL server database. A part of the software allows users to query the database using SQL. So I find myself frequently trying to work out quite complex SQL expressions and am wondering on the best thing to do to really get my head around SQL.

Can anyone recommend any good books which start at the basics and progress to more complex areas of SQL? Would it be worth me working towards a SQL related MCP? If so, which one(s)? My employer is prepared to pay for training so if I cold get an MCP or two out of it that would be great.

As well as learning SQL, I really want to become more knowledgable about SQL Server - Enterprise Manager/Analysis Services - is there an MCP for this?

Finally - if there are SQL related MCPs are there recommended prerequisites? Should I have done other MCPs which prepare you for working on SQL related MCPs?

I've worked in IT for a few years so I have a fair bit of experience but no certificates to show for it yet - I'm currently working on an A+ which is my first step on the way to eventually becoming MCSE qualified.

Thanks for reading my long winded email :eek: - any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin

Thanks,

Richard

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Richard,

There are a couple of SQL 2000 related MCP's available, they are 70-228 and 70-229. They more or less stand on their own, no need to do other MCP's as prerequisites. However seeing as you're on the path to MCSE anyway you could use them as electives and score two certs at the same time - MCSE and MCDBA.

Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

Thanks Phil - that's good to know. I will most likely do these exams as electives.

Any recommended books for doing these exams?

Thanks,

Richard

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+