Want to know about CompTIA certifications

Discussion in 'A+' started by raisasheikh, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisasheikh

raisasheikh Banned

Hi I have recently heard about certification exams from a friend, who is presently working with an IT company. I am thinking about taking it, but the real problem is that which certification to take first. Does anyone know which one to start first and also which certification is liked most by the employer? Thanks in advance for your suggestion.I want to know about CompTIA certifications.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi raisasheikh,

Start by looking at this link www.comptia.org. CompTIA provide various "entry level" certifications, including A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, etc (you get the drift)

No one cert on it's own will really appeal to an employer - it's more a combination of them that displays which areas you are qualified in that will help you. There's loads of helpful advice already here - look around the specific forums for what it is that appeals to you.

In the meantime, please take a moment to pop up to the New Members forum so we can get to know a little about you :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Depends on what you know already. If you are totally new to IT, I'd recommend the A+. It will give you a basic grounding in computer hardware and OS maintanence. Also, keep in mind that a certification just declares formally that you already know the content area and can meet a particular standard...in this case set by comptia. It's not the certification alone that will get you the job, it's your ability to demonstrate that you have skills that an employer wants.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

For some time, it was clear that I would like
    to be a computer technician! 8)

Knowing that, A+ was the first certification
    I needed in any future IT career.

I would say the IT certifications you attain would
    depend on the career you choose in IT. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+