Want Network, but no internet ?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by pingo0000, May 18, 2007.

1. pingo0000

pingo0000 Bit Poster

Hi to all!

Please if somebody can help me.

I have one mac and 2 pc's. I want to connect them all in a networkthrough a Router (4 port switch and modem inside it) - DSL-504T- but don't want PC's to go to have access to the internet, but to be able to share files between them.

PC's are with Windows XP and MAc is with MAc OS X installed.

Thanx!

Certifications: Network+
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Unplug the cable that connects to the phone point in the wall?

No internet if there's no cable plugged in. 8)

3. pingo0000

pingo0000 Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply, Simongrahamuk!

That will help if I don't want connection to Internet at all.

But, I want my Mac to be able to connect to the internet and home network and not to allow PC's to go on the Internet but to be able to connect to the home network.

Because, all 3 computers are connected together through the router, which is also a modem, and that's how they end up on the Internet automatically.

I have disabled TCP/IP protocols on the PC's but in that way I'm losing the connection to the network as well.

Any solutions to this? :blink

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Buy a small hub run your machines that you dont want to go onto the internet via that and DONT share your internet connection.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ahh! now I got ya! :biggrin

Ok, fairly simple this one then, simply configure the PC's to be on a different subnet to the Mac.

The easiest way to do this will be to go to a CMD prompt on one of the windows PC's that can currently connect to the web. Type in ipconfig /all

You will see the PC's IP Address and its subnet mask information, probably something like:
    Address: 192.168.1.3
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

(the Gateway is the address of your router)

Now to change the PC's so that they can't connect to the web you will need to manually assign them an IP and place it on a different subnet (I assume you know how to to this since you mention TCP/IP in your post).

Giving the windows PC's an address of something like 192.168.10.1 - 254 should allow them to see each other, but not see the web.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think the easiest solution is to turn off DHCP on your router if it's on, then on the two PC's give them a static IP but just don't include a default gateway. No gateway, no internet.

If you then give the mac a static address in the same range, but do give it a gateway, it will have internet and also be albe to talk to the PC's.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

get them a static IP +subnet mask, just don't give any Gate IP.

simple as that :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  8. pingo0000

pingo0000 Bit Poster

Thank you all!

It's all done well thanks to you.

I've just manually entered IP addresses and subnets for the PC's and didn't enter any default gateways.

On the other hand, on the Mac, the manual IP address was created and the gateway already existed.

Now all runs smoothly.

Cheers! :biggrin

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Didn't I just say that? There is an echo in here. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

We will need to get the sampleing sorted out.