Want a refund from Advent!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Maseybaby, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Maseybaby

Maseybaby Bit Poster

Hey, just wondering if it's possible to get a refund from Advent if i threaten a court case. They told me they would find me a job and be in close contact with me, they haven't spoken to me in 5 months time to ask about my progress or offered any form of a job? Would a lawyer be able to do anything about this and be able get me a partial/full refund?
    Cheers
    Lee

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Computer Sci, MCDST, MCITP, CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not a chance. Sorry - I know its not what you want to hear, but there is very little you can do to get any of your money back. The 'guarantees' from training providers are not worth the paper they're not printed on. Unless you have a copy of a contract somewhere which categorically states that they will find you a job within x amount of time upon successful completion of your course - and that, if they don't, they will refund your money then you have no chance and will only be wasting your time and (if my experience of lawyers in any past aspect of my life is anything to go by) more of your money.

Even if you DO have such a contract, it will be flimsily worded - allowing the TP to 'prove' in court that they have discharged all their responsibilities to you as defined in the contract. There is one way you might conceivably win a case against a TP - and that would be to find a large group of like-minded people who feel similarly ripped off and start a class action suit against the TP. However, class action litigation in the UK is still very much in its infancy and, in the unlikely event that you DID garner enough people to offset the (what would most certainly be) prohibitively expensive costs of the case and actually WON after taking this to court, that would undoubtedly spell the death knell for that TP - they would more than likely immediately declare bankruptcy and just open up under another name.

I would suggest that, instead of joining the long list of previous complainants who have stressed, worried and seethed about this, you put it down to experience, gain what you can from it, and make it part of your psyche never to trust marketing bull**** again.

Sorry!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

By the looks of it you only have the A+ so this is still only an entry level cert and with the job market the way it is they may be experiancing problems finding people jobs.s have you tried contacting the careers people or the mentor team? I only ask because it seems some what daft to say I expect you to do all the running for me and I wiil not help myself.

I know you paid advent a lot of money but if i were you I would get on with the certs and look for a job yourself.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No chance mate, once the TP have your money its up to *you* how you use them. Dont expect them to phone asking how you are doing.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry, you'll need to give some more info.

They may have promised you a job, but it's only reasonable to expect certain terms to come with that.
    What were they?
    How much of the course have you done?
    What exams have you passed?

They're not going to give you a job just because you signed the contract...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD