want a career in it .am very new....please help with any advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hello people.basically i want to get into a career of I.t.i currently work as a carpenter.i guess i will have to start at the bottom of the ladder.{help desk ect}also any ideas or advice on a career path would be cool.

Im contemplating taking a crash course in a relevent topic to help me on my way in the I.T world.as teaching my self wouldnt really pay.

mcp ?can i take a crash course in this with no experience?

comptia?is it a suitable or goodish qualification.please help,any information would be fantastic.

Have u any good sites for relevant study books,courses,cd rom's ect

Pplease help:rolleyes:

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh, teaching yourself wouldnt pay?

Remember a crash course costs ££££.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Georgiesickjitz

basically i have a full time job at the moment and a family,so it would be a distraction .if i go to a centre for x amount of days.i live and breath the subject

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't forget that that will cost money - and you will also lose money by being off work.

Some of the courses can be quite expensive.

Some would argue that the discipline of sitting down in a spare room (if you have one :biggrin ) and studying and keeping distractions to a minimum by keeping the door closed, is a benefit.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have replied in your original intro thread, take a look.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Georgiesickjitz

guys i can see your point.i guess im trying to fast track my self.....ok .self study.books and cd roms .whats what.what should i look at buying to learn.?????????????????????????//

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Georgie - out of interest, where did you get the first part of your name from?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking the same thing, strange :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. Sparky

There are no shortcuts mate so you would be best to pick a cert, get a few books, and start from there. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Georgiesickjitz

AHHHHHHH yes had a few probs with the set up page{company name} i tryed several of my own names ,and it wouldnt accept it.....it advised to give your course name.??????? i know this is my first day on the forum.i guess i might change it later.:rolleyes::(

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

12. Sparky

Hopefully not one of the tutors! :biggrin

13. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

The guys here have given you some good advice in relation to getting into IT. However, in the first instance I think you should look at getting some *basic* IT skills. For instance, your keyboard etiquette suggests that you have very little experience in how to use this simple piece of input equipment. Some rules that you need to bear in mind with regards to keyboard etiquette are as follows:

* Ensure there is one space after your punctuation marks. For example "I went to the shop today and purchased a tin of beans, some beer, pizzas and crisps. I'm such a fat b*stard!"
    * The use of a capital letter at the start of each sentence is still required.
    * The use of the apostrophe is still required i.e. "I'm" instead of "im".
    * The keyboard is not a mobile phone keypad so there is no need for txt-speak i.e. u, im, any1 etc. You are not charged extra for typing out the full word.
    * As with writing by hand, one would not end a question with "?????????????????????" a question only need end with one "?".

Following the above rules helps us all to understand the content/subject matter of your posts. We're not grammer experts but simple punctuation and no txt speak will help you in the long run - particularly when you need to draft your CV or contact potential employers by email.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  14. Georgiesickjitz

why on earth would you have wasted your time writing that???????????????????????????????????:p

15. Sparky

Problem with the ? key? :rolleyes:

Good advice from drum_dude there mate. 8)

16. Georgiesickjitz

to the firebrand comment.no because i have been looking in to specific courses.firebrand has been on my mind.strange i know

17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Because being lazy does not get you nowhere!

18. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well, the part of the title of this thread is "want a career in it". Some of us may have thought what is "it"?

Do you get my drift?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  19. Georgiesickjitz

sorry i guess you are trying to help,so i thank you for that.i have spent to much time on face book.I will quit the question marks.oh one more ?hahahahaha.thanks guys

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When you say "fast track", it sounds like you want to attend some sort of "boot camp" experience for a week or two and quickly get yourself up to speed in a particular area of IT, then jump into a quick career change.

If that's the case (and correct me if I've got it wrong), it probably won't work unless you've already got a lot of IT experience in your background.

Look at it this way. You're a carpenter. Let's say I wanted to fast track myself to become a carpenter, but I don't know a thing about it. Would I be able to go some place and live, eat, breathe carpentry for a few weeks, then start out building houses? My guess is, "no" or at least, you shouldn't trust me to do so, compared to someone who's been doing carpentry for years.

A career in technology isn't any different than a career in another field. You have to "pay your dues" as they say, to learn the basics before advancing. Frankly, there are no reliable and ethical shortcuts you can use to get a decent (let alone high) paying job in IT quickly. You just have to start and the beginning and work your way up. Imagine me trying to build a two storey house if I hadn't learned how to nail two boards together first (and done it over and over and over until I got good at it).

Right now, I work as the technical writer for a company that develops web applications. I also write books, a technical column for a Linux magazine, and technical book reviews for various paid and unpaid venues including this forum. It's taken me almost 10 years to get this far, since I changed from my original career. There were no short cuts and fast tracks. In fact, my career path has taken several unscheduled turns since I started this whole thing.

As far as having a day job and a family, I can relate. The only time I can write columns, book reviews, and books is at night and on the weekends. Often, it's also the only time I can practice new skill sets or practice reviving older skill sets I need to bring back up to speed. I'm sorry, but that's the reality of the situation.

Save yourself some headaches, false starts, and frustrations and please consider this career change in a more realistic light.

Oh...incidentally, if somehow this whole thing ends up being spam for a training provider or braindump site, your member account here will be banned faster than you can possibly imagine. I hope this isn't the case, but you might as well know now, that we take a dim view of dodgy marketing by even more dodgy outfits. If you're here on your own trying to break into the technology field and you need some advice, then welcome. That's what we're here for. If you are representing some place that wants to use the forum as free advertisement, you and any links you publish won't be here very long.

Certifications: A+ and Network+