WANs?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, May 26, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have to ask this question as I am new to networking, and I am trying to learn more about it. I am currently learning about different types of networks and I am currently looking at topologies. In a video I am watching its telling me the Mesh topology is used in WAN environments. How can this be? how could a business use cables connecting two systems in separate cities? so if they had an office in London and an Office in Birmingham but were setup using a Mesh topology so no CCD...how would this work? if it was in a small office then fair enough but why is this video telling me Mesh topology is used in WANs? eagerly awaiting a reply on this.

2. Idunno

Idunno Bit Poster

Sorry but I don't know what a CCD is and therefore not entirely sure if the following is useful however I would suggest WAN connections form the Point(s) of connection supplied to each company via one or more ISPs. Each ISP manages their infrastructure of networks and enforce Mesh like topologies to ensure resilience, between locations or POPs (Points of Presence - previously knows as exchanges) enabling traffic to flow in the event of single or often multiple localised outages.

In my experience companies like to maintain multiple WAN connections supplied buy multiple ISPs or at the very least multiple WAN connections targeting diverse (separated) POPs.

In reality many ISPs are resellers selling on connectivity they themselves rent.

Site-to-Site connectivity being supplied for any company typically achieved via VPN over internet connections or MPLS services.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Certifications: HND IT, MCP: 70-290, 073, 067, 068. Prince2 Foundation
    WIP: LFS101x.2, ITIL V3
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This might help mate..

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...to-Site-Connectivity/Ethernet-point-to-point/

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs