Wall Climbing

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've been thinking about taking up some sort of sport or something to help improve my fitness.

I do tai chi, but it doesnt really boost my fitness dramatically, and im not really a gym type of person. So I thought I might give wall climbing a shot.

Has anyone tried it? What do they think?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well doing the wall climbing is one hell of a way to get fit, i was going to do a load before i got ill and at the mo theres no hope of me ever being able to do it. Id say even though you doing your tai chi youd need to limber up somewhat as when you climb either indoors or outdoors your going to be using parts of your body that you may not have known to exist.

Its a proper workout so a few weeks before you go try some jogging (which i hate) or walking, but not on flat roads go to a local woods thats rather hilly and for extra stimulas take a friends dog as that will give you extra energy when you see it running for a stick. I take my mates all the time and will try and beat the dog, shiela, for the ball or stick, for which i never win, but as ive been tryin and trying im getting closer. Also im always ****ed but im out of breath and even breal into little sweats. All this is good prep etc.

Another thing i try and do is cycle, and ill power as fast as i can mainly when going down hill.

The rest is up to you depends how far you want to g, thoguh keep us informed in how you get on.

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Being a gentlemen of somewhat "large" stature I find climbing difficult, physically as my power to weight ratio seems to be in skeewed the oposite way to most other people there. That said I still love going, I found it easiest to give my local climbing wall a call and found out they did a beginners course for £80 which was 1 night per week for a month with instruction on the basics, including how to belay (hold the rope for the person climbing so that if they fall off the dont become a crater in the floor) properly with all of kit hire throw in. If they offer something like that do it as it means you have learnt how to climb safely met some people who are just starting out as well, and have an idea of what kit you may need to kit.

Good Luck with it

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I know a couple wall climbers/freestyle climbers and although they don't look it they have big upper body strentgh. you will need to try and get your self as flexible as possible so stretching tecniques will help with this.

You may also need to go to the gym or do some weights to get your shoulders and arms strong although you may not as I don't know if your a physically strong person or not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Have you thought about burglary?

You get the wall climbing, plus the jogging with weights if successful.

And, I'm told, you can also turn a profit.

If you're good enough you can move on to Fence jumping, as they'll be queueing up to buy from you.

:biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have to say I disagree with you guys about the gym and stuff, the fitness is so particular, not espically aerobic but massively anaerobic, and as always the best way to get fitter at a sport is to do that sport.

There is no need to go all out on the gym, untill you are taking it seriously and can develop a program that focuses on the weak areas on your climbing style, at that point fill your boots but until then pointless.

All routes have their difficulty determined by an alpha numeric system, the beginners routes are in the 3, 3+ (harder then a 3 but not a 4), 4, and 4+.

These give you something to aim for as well as a sense of achievement and will provide all the workout you need without hitting the gym.

Good luck

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012