W32/mydoom@mm

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Luton Bee, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

The above virus is currently classified as high outbraek by Mcafee and is has been very very prevalent on the internet today. As this virus was only discovered yesterday make sure your AV software is up to date now! More details here

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

We're getting hammered with this, thankfully they're all bouncing off the Mailsweepers........ rushes off to touch piece of wood :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Same here, Phil

They are getting through but fortunatley our users are quite good about recieving dodge email, working in government kind of gets you that way if you know what I mean.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yes we are having the same at our school. Sent a Global email to all staff and pupils not to open infected mail. I managed to get the Sophos update onto the server and mail server before this started to blast us. The firewall does strip off all .exe, .bat, .zip plus others before it gets to the users.

Shall have to update my virus files when I get home.

WHY do idiots do this sort of thing? :x

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. dreec

dreec Nibble Poster

"Because they can"

Certifications: To many to list here, to few to matter
    WIP: None
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Cheers for the heads-up, LB :thumbleft Will update when I get home.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My daughter got an interesting e-mail on this subject today. I posted it over in the news forum since it's related to the lastest story Si put up.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

KASPERSKY LABS warned it had detected a variant of Mydoom, the worm which wreaked havoc worldwide earlier this week. The anti virus firm said that it believes that Mydoom B is using machines infected by the original version of the worm to launch and propagate further attacks.

But, unlike Mydoom A, it appears the payload will launch denial of service attacks on Microsoft as well as on SCO. If the payload is executed, the worm prevents users from accessing a number of sites, including sites such as Sophos, Kaspersky and Symantec which will have ways of preventing or removing the attack.

News source: The Inq

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...