Vtsp

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Theprof, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just finished the VTSP course online... Since we're a VMware partner, it was free to do so I decided to do it before taking the VCP exam. We also have to have a certain amount of certifications to qualify as a VMware partner.

I think it's a great general entry cert for VMware, honestly, Simon commented on it on his blog and it's great to do before taking the VCP, especially for those who don't have a lot of experience with VMware. Personally I found it a little easy but I have a good amount of experience with VMware Infrastructure so this was a nice reinforcement course right before I take the VCP5 course and then the exam. Also as a pre-sales guy, it's great to have too.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

Hi,

I just signed up to do the offical VCP course in October. My VMWare knowledge is limited (the guys at the academy told me I would need a bit more experience too, not just the course) sounds like I would be better doing VTSP first?

Can I do it if I don't work for a VMWare partner? Does a sales cert bennefit an engineer?

The course I'm doing in October is only £750 (only been relative!)

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The VTSP definitely helps where the VCP is concerned but is only available to Partners (saying that, I am a Partner but I do have my own limited company).

There is a lot of information that's needed to pass the VCP and unfortunately the course itself doesn't actually cover everything you're going to need to know to pass the exam, with that in mind I would definitely suggest having a home lab environment set up so that you can play with the likes of HA, DRS and DPM as well as just generally getting to grips with VMware products.

@TheProf, I would suggest taking the VCP 4 exam rather than skipping it, the reason being is that the course requirements aren't there for current VCP4 holders until Feb 2012, what that means is that you can sit through VCP 4 training but sit and pass both VCP4 and then VCP 5 without having to do another course, VCP4 holders who don't pass the exam by Feb 2012 will need to sit the course after that.

VTSP 5 is due out in the next couple of weeks.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Yup VTSP is partner only
    I just finished VSP 5 and eagerly waiting for VTSP5 and i have a free voucher for VCP5 exam.. going to be a busy few weeks :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I thought about doing VCP4 but then the guys here recommended that I'd do VCP 5. I am looking to do the VCP exam in the next 2 months... If I go with VCP 4 and pass, that should give me enough time to do the VCP 5 exam before they make you take the course again.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA