VTP setup

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by insurin, May 14, 2010.

1. insurin

insurin Bit Poster

Just a quick one

Lets say I have 1 or 2 6500 catalysts and about 60 access switches some of which may be daisy chained. Am I right in thinking the only VTP servers should be 6500s and the rest should all be clients. I am seeing a setup at work where the 6500s are VTP servers but there is a batch of access switches that are also VTP servers and some are clients. I want to make all access switches clients

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, the only reason to make them clients is so the VLAN and VTP configurations can't be changed directly on those switches... they are changed only when they receive a VTP update with a higher configuration revision number.

What I'm saying is this... if you change all the switches to VTP client mode except for one, then you'll only be able to change the VLAN and VTP configurations on that one VTP server-mode switch. So what happens if, for some reason, you're unable to access that switch?

Personally, I prefer having the freedom to change the configuration on ANY of my switches, no matter which one I happen to be on at the time, and then that change will be propagated to my other switches.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. insurin

insurin Bit Poster

yeah fair point. the underlying reason was to reduce traffic and cpu load. A lot of my switches are opertaing between 60% and 90% cpu usage with stp queue handle often being the highest process usage

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not gonna reduce traffic or CPU load. VTP clients still forward and originate VTP packets: link

You could set them to VTP transparent mode, but then you're stuck having to manually configure each of them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!