VS 2008 or 2010

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by nmm, Sep 6, 2010.

1. nmm

nmm New Member

Hi All,

I am using Visual studio 2008, VB.Net from last 3-4 years. I want to go for MCPD for VS 2010 because it is latest version and will last longer. But Microsoft says that you should have atleast 6 months of experience to do VS2010 certification. What If VS 2008 get obselte in 1/2 year? Isn't it right time to invest on VS2010 instead of 2008.
    Can some expert guide me what should I go for?

Thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can take upgrade exams to get from MCPD 2008 to MCPD 2010.

The technology won't be obsolete in 6 months but its likely that some employers will prefer .NET 4 qualifications to .NET 3.5 certifications in 6 months.

Currently there are few materials available for the VS 2010 / .NET 4 track.

So you have a choice :-

1. Cert on VS 2008 as there are lots of resources like training kits etc.

2. Cert on VS 2010 by finding your own resources from MSDN etc.

3. Wait for some VS 2010 materials to become available in the next couple months.

I'd probably go for a mix of 2 and 3 as it will require less exams to get a more recent MCPD qualification.

Well they really want you to have 2+ years of .NET, you can't have much more than 6 months .NET as its simply too new, you should be able to pick up the .NET 4 stuff if you know .NET 3.5. I think there are various problems with the MS developer tracks, one being as you mentioned that certs like MCPD that require a significant investment don't remain current long enough. It leads to ridiculous statements like must have 6 months .NET 4, they mean you must be an experienced developer on Windows basically, the cert people seem out of touch with the real world of development IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010