vpn?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by keithmoon, Dec 9, 2009.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

quick question :)
    the wife has won a contract training foster parents on social care, she needs a server setup so that the trainees can log in from home and update files/fill in questionaires/download documents etc on the server in our house. currently we will not have anymore than 10 trainees at a time. There will be no streaming vids or anything like that. The connection has to be secure because of the nature of the material. Whats the best way to do something like this? VPN? if a vpn is the answer could someone be good enough to give me a brief description of how to set one up?

chhers all

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A web based solution would be better. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

cheers for the reply can you give me a biref idea?

4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Sparky's suggestion is sound. Another option is to setup an FTP server whereby the trainees can login with their own accounts to upload and download documents.

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah, VPN a bit OTT.

If this is a temporary thing, I'd set up some kind of web hosting with a third party and do everything through them. Students can upload, and you can download, all with someone else managing the security.

Given the fact that you are asking these questions, I wouldn't recommend you opening up your 'home server' to outside users.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

hi guys,

Im looking into this share point services solution as was suggested a few weeks ago, can anyone talk me through the stages i would need to go through in order to get this working over the net? would i need my own static ip? also can anyone reccomend a good server for me? as i said before we will have no more than ten trainees at any one time so it wont be under any huge strain from users.

Thanks alot in advance folks

:)

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would also recommend MS Sharepoint Services :thumbleft

Preferably, however you can also use DDNS services from dLink, DynDNS or No-IP, etc...

Well if it's only for around 10 people, I wouldn't really go for server class hardware, unless you go for something like the HP Proliant (considering price here). However that is totally up to you.

One thing that I would take into consideration is your internet upload/download speed and the size of the documents that you're going to make available.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you don't want to setup/host the server yourself you could opt for a provider offering a service.

Just Google something like "hosted sharepoint server" and you should get some options. Then you can just rent what you want/need

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

dropbox

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  11. Kitkatninja

Not bad if under 2gb, as it's free. Anything over that and prices start to build...

-Ken

edit: just noticed that the prices are in $ and not in £, so it's not as expensive as I first thought

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

hi all
    thanks for the reply guys :)
    regarding dropbox, is it possible to set permissions on files and folders? for example i would like some files to be viewable by certain members and not others. would i require a seperate account for each user or could i have a single account that allows multiple users to log on with different usernames?

cheers all

13. Kitkatninja

From what I understand from the video, is it. However as I haven't used it before try it out.

-Ken