VPN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by twizzle, Aug 31, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

How do i go about setting up a VPN between 2 pcs over the internet. BAsically i want to be able to connect to my old mans machine from mine using the Net. I have VNC viewer and server but do i need any thing else or what?
    I want to be able to remotley control and see his desktop for when he calls me witha fault... getting fed up of the constant phonecalls.

All help appreicated.....

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Twizzle,

Are both machines XP Pro? If so, it has VPN already built in which is straight forward to set-up on both machines.

Depending on what you want to achieve, it might be worth using RDP, so you don't loose the functionality of your WAN connection.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can always use Remote Assistance. Get your dad to click on Start>Help And Support> Invite A friend to connect to your computer. Follow the on screen instructions and then get him to email the file to you. When you get the file double click on it and then enter the password (if it was configured that way) and then you can connect.

A personal firewall may block this, if your dad has a firewall allow Port 3389 inbound and that will allow the connection. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to give us more information to answer this properly.

Is your dad on broadband, if so what kind, cable/adsl?

Does he have a fixed IP address from his ISP?

If ADSL does he use a router with NAT?

Does the router have VPN capabilities?

What OS are you using and what OS is he using?

There is more than one way to skin a cat and if you provide this info, we will be in a better position to give you advice :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

An easy option might be for you to try Logmein. It is a really good option for a simple remote control program. 8)

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

thanks guys...

further info,

we both have xp, mines pro sp2 his is home ed. He uses a braodband adsl modem while i have and ethernet router connection. Not sure but i think he has a dynamic IP which could prove a problem.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,