VPN XP PRO :@

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by PAT, Oct 1, 2007.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

hello 8)

just setup our new firewall, firebox X and VPN.

we cant see other computers or file shares, when we browse network places in xp pro.

i have joined the client to the local domain and i can ping all internal servers when connected over the VPN.

thanks for your help. :)

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

can you get to the file-shares using their IP? (ie using \\10.10.1.11 instead of \\server1).

At my old work we had a problem with VPN we referred to as the 15 minute rule. In a lot of cases, for the first 15 minutes after logging in via VPN, you couldnt access anything by name, only by IP. After about 15 minutes, it resolves itself and everything works fine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. PAT

PAT Banned

gave that a go but it still dont work.
    when i try and browse network places i get "you may not have permission to use network resources"

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Then Im afraid I have no idea. VPN was never my strong point at my old work - i was in a different dept, thats about all I can recall from my ServiceDesk days.

Quick thought, you arent trying to enter that into the browser are you? you should be using run to test my suggestion. You likely are, but just thought Id make sure.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. PAT

PAT Banned

ok cool thanks first time i done VPN lol :rolleyes:

yeah doing it from the run box

thanks

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you give us more info on the network setup?

Is the VPN joining two sites together? Is the DC on a different subnet\location than the PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

can you try, start->run->type "cmd" & hit enter->type "net view \\servers_ip".

any errors or did it list the servers shares?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. PAT

PAT Banned

no the VPN is for remote users, on dial up connections.

thanks

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What about using Ipconfig/all in the Command window?

Do you see a ip address or connection?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just to confirm, are the users dialing in directly to the server or are they dialing up and then launching a seperate VPN client?

When connected can you ping the domain controller by IP address?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs