VPN (network to network, host to network)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beaumontdvd, Jan 13, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, Im studying once again :) and at the moment im learning about virtual private networks, I have a 271-272 book it explains it but not in the words that I can understand to be honest, hopefully one of you could help.

Network to Network - I understand this is used in the office to another office, but it says these are generally used to save costs compared to leasing expensive dedicated lines?

Host to Network - I understand this could be for example a business man in a hotel connecting to his organisation, but it also says it reduces the cost of maintaing model pools, and eliminates long distance charges provided that a local isp telephone number is available.

Does this mean that you dial the isp number and they provide you the vpn server, then you add your organisation details and the vpn server connects you to your organisation?

I appreciate your help! Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

network to network ((also known as a site-to-site VPN)

basically, each site has an internet connection, and two devices either end negotiate the VPN tunnel across the internet. Rather than paying for a dedicated line which connects the two sites.

Similarly, a host to network (also knows as remote access VPN) allows a user to negotiate a VPN tunnel, over a standard internet connection.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Thanks! So instead of paying for a direct line that connects them together, its done through the internet. But where does dialing there local isp phone number come in?

Regards,

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yep that's correct.

presumably they mean dialling the ISP for the internet connection. Once connected to the internet they use the VPN client to create a VPN tunnel to the device

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP