Voting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kat731, May 5, 2005.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Well, I for one would have no problem with telling people how I voted, but that is just me. It is a person's right to discuss how they voted, some do, some don't. Depends on allot of factors really.

I think saying that everyone on this forum gets shifty when asked who they voted for is a bit silly. No one has come straigh out and asked who others voted for, and therefore there has no discussion. It's not because people are shifty about it.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ryan,

some of us do take it seriously and served our country for democracy!!!!!
    But whats life without some lighthearted banter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Whose Ryan?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I guess the difference is that if you choose a Provider, you are only accountable for your own choice, but in voting for a Government, you are partially accountable for the future of the whole country.

Also, I don't get shirty about talking about who I vote for, but I believe I also have the democratic right to keep that information to myself, if I so choose.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Well, May I be the first to say I voted Lib dem (sorry US / Other People as this will mean little) Cos they are the only party to support our entry into the Europen Union, which I think was a very underrated topic in the run up, but a very important topic to me and many other I imagine.
    Anyone else notice that the UK independance party is made up of 50 year old + males and their controlled sons who still can not get to grips with Metric / modern age!
    Jamin.
    (mods - feel free to edit this post, I know it is a bit political / ranty for the normal certforums goodness)

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  6. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Kat, my comment wasnt directed at you personally, just i probably know a few people who actually did pull an eeny meeny miney mo routine today and its just rather saddening that its got to that :)

I voted conservative, i've never liked labour, grew up being told how horid they were, and whilst not really believing it fully, the last 8 years fixed that good and proper, they pretty much lied from the start, and when they couldnt outright lie they just changed the rules

The lib dems seem a little too fairy like to my likeing, they have some good moral stands, and I appreciate some of there positions, but come on, absolutely no debate on new nuclear plants?? do they not quite get our energy problems? and they are a little too pro europe for me, i like my countries independance, and im willing to back that with my vote

The conservatives, although not much better than the rest, are a little under rated, they spent the best part of thier last term cleaning up the mess of the previous labour government, then people ask what the hell have u done for us in the last god knows how many years? well you can hardly make radical improvements when your spending half your time cleaning the house and getting out of debt!

So those are my views in as democratic a way as i can put them :)
    And that was my vote, if I had the means, id run myself and see if we couldnt put a little honesty back into politics, people say power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, I dont believe that, I belive people are born and instilled with morals as they grow up, some falter along the way, others stay true and grow to be genuinely good people, unfortunatly as good people they dont often want to get involved in politics :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. drum_dude

Ahh! Phoenix is Ryan! My question is answered!!!

Who should I vote for?
    Your expected outcome:
    Conservative

Your actual outcome:

Labour -5
    Conservative 37
    Liberal Democrat -7
    UKIP 24
    Green 7

You should vote: Conservative

Excellant site Jamin! I voted Tory too!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I went down to the voting station last night with the honest intention of voting Microsoft.
    I was looking forward to seeing Bill Gates in number 10. There would never be any more wars, just bigger injunctions.
    Everyone would have exactly the same, and we would all get three tries at everything to get it right.
    To my horror, I noticed that the Microsoft party were not on my voting slip. I pointed out the omission to an official and he was quite rude to me.

Linux user, obviously.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

ROTFLMAO @ Jonny :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Who should I vote for? v2
    Your expected outcome:
    Conservative

Your actual outcome:

Labour -32
    Conservative 5
    Liberal Democrat 33
    UKIP 26
    Green 47

You should vote: Green
    The Green Party, which is of course strong on environmental issues, takes a strong position on welfare issues, but was firmly against the war in Iraq. Other key concerns are cannabis, where the party takes a liberal line, and foxhunting, which unsurprisingly the Greens are firmly against. The Greens are also anti-Europe.

I voted labour anyway, this way when labour win i can blame myself rather then scream at the top of my voice "ITS A FIX!". I hope to god that Lib Dem's get in though.

EDIT: Labour won?!? (or have i heard this wrong) ... what a suprise.

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  12. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

lol, thank god that's over.

Anyway, the main point was Iraq. The big bad Labour party leader took us into a war that wasn't legal???

For god sake, any war is illegal. Let's face it, you're on someone elses soil. How would you like someone coming onto your private property and settling there? No? I'm pretty sure Mr Hitler didn't ask the Polish government if he could set up a camp site in Warsaw city centre? Thought not. So what's wrong with what Blair and Bush done? Only difference was the scale and they had a good reason, be it because of WMD or the fact that Sadam was tirrinicul (spelling?) in his running of a country, causing murder, rape, dictatorship to the extreme, oppression and torture of women who even dared to have an opinion.

This is my opinion on things as they stand. My brother is a member of the armed forces and is very willing to go to Iraq and do his time. Yes, there is a chance that he will be injured or even worse, but he knows and my family knows what risks are involved and that's what he signes up for 18 years ago. I'm very sorry for the soldiers who have been injured and killed, but why sign up to lay your life down for your country and freedom then sue the government when the worst happens. For gods sake, wake up!

Another thing gets my goat. People (Do-gooders) harping on about why our soldiers (american and british) should be jailed for killing a few Iraquis. Oh it's ok for the Iraquis to chop our heads off in public displays of hate and then dump them on the street. Spineless people would say but they are angry at our occupation. So what? Have saddam back then! Hmmm, you'd like that? I think not. A few soldiers give them a kicking and all hell breaks loose. Carry on like that and I'm suprised NATO has any defense. I fully support the war and yes, I would go out and fight.

Muslims, true Muslims are not war like but they are not making any headway by bombing soldiers who have families and friends like them, but lets not forget, that doesn't matter as long as the government doesn't get shame-faced.

Face up to it and see that the war was needed and the Iraqis have a brilliant chance to shine in the world and make a real rich future for themselves. If they take it, good. If they don't then lets pull out and watch them closely.

Phew, thanks for listening. I meant no offense to anyone and it is my opinion. I just think it's time people thought for themselves and stop following popular opinion (Media and what ya mates think). It's easier to be a sheep than a wolf.

Davver

Luv yaz really!

Certifications: Diploma IT
    WIP: A+
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

The war was 'illegal' because it went against a UN vote, as well as for reasons that were make believe
    Saddam is welcome to be a tyranical dictator, as long as he sits in his own little soverign nation doing it, considering our own dodgy way of running a country, i dont we have any right to dictate to the world how its done

hitler crossed borders, and thats when we joined in
    Saddam did the first time, and we responded
    this time he didnt, and we took the fight to him for some cheap oil

I dont agree with the whining about the soldiers either, there doing thier jobs, the jobs that a government the majority of the country voted for sent them to, so get over it, its our fault really!

however they are held to higher standards, and i agree they should be, these are british and american soldiers, some of the best trained armed forces in the world, they are respected the world over because of thier ability and professionalism, that image was forever tarnished in iraq due to the actions of a few, whilst iraq may not adhere to the global standards and conventions, we certainly do, and abusing helpless prisoners breaks a fair few of them, kick the crap out of them while thier armed whilst you disarm them if you must, but once there locked up and in your care, you better obey the rules is all I say

I for one salute our brave soldiers, the ones who made it home, and the ones that didnt, they were in a place we sent them to, and they didnt need to be, but they did thier job admirably, and the majority did it with the courage and professionalism that makes them worthy of wearing a union flag on thier arm

May we learn from our mistakes and make better the future for our children

14. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Davver theres a thin line between what happens in a normal war and war crimes, if a soldier is told to go into a city and stop looting it dosnt mean rape and torture innocents, it happens in most wars anyway its just not brought to peoples attention too much.

The war was illegal in that theres an agreement with the UN... the UN votes to go to war or not, whilst everyone was voting the USA went in and said f**k it, we dont need the UN THATS why it was illegal ... naturally good ol tony blair became his b**ch again and decided to go along with the USA... effectivly putting the UK & US versus the UN and the EU.

Frankly the USA should have been expelled from the UN for that and trade embargos placed upon them, i believe the other nations of the UN should have taken control of the oil supply stuff to and put it back in their governments hands.

The whole war frankly was just about cash / oil... then again im one of these people that believe that pearl harbour was an attack that the americans allowed to happen (or did themselves) and that the 9/11 events was allowed to happen / made to happen by the US government.

The WMD thing... bleh.. an obvious excuse.

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  15. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

That's ok dudes. It's your opinions and that's cool. I have my own views. I'm just fed up of the do-gooders and spineless britian. I agree that blair could have chosen his moment with a bit more tact, but as you know, the Brits are that much in debt to the Americans from borrowing in WW2, we darn't say bog off!

Yes, Blair may have made a mistake, he's only human. Bush attacked Iraq because of a knee-jerk reaction to the 9/11 attack (god rest their souls). I know I may speak out of terms here, but I'm a very honest person and beleave that Blair would follow him to the ends of the earth.

During the second world war, we may not have seen the Americans, but as soon as Pearl Harbour was attacked, hey... Jonny Come Lately turns up all guns blazing and grabs all the glory!

Getting back to the point though. I apologize for my ill-informed rant because I never knew that a vote was even cast by the UN. Don't slap me too hard or I might like it!

Here's where I'll shut up :cry:

Davver

16. drum_dude

That’s actually incorrect. Roosevelt was covertly helping us out where possible, but he was also bound by the US Neutrality Act at the time. US public opinion was against getting involved in another European Conflict too, this was obvioulsy due to the many US lives wasted in the 1st World War.

Woodrow Wilson entered the US into the 1st world war in the hope that his 14 point peace plan would be adopted by the Allies. Germany also hoped this and as a result called an Armistice. However, the allies ignored Wilson’s peace plan and imposed a very heavy financial guilt/humiliation burden onto Germany...thus making it look as if Germany surrendered rather then pursuing peace based on the 14 point plan! Meanwhile in America, Wilson’s hope of reviving his peace plan were suddenly dashed when the US Congress voted against the US's participation in the League of Nations!

Now with all that and the dead and injured US soldiers, it is not surprising that the US did not want to get into a 2nd European Conflict. Publicly the US Govt was displaying a Neutral stance, but in the background Roosevelt was "lending a garden hose to a neighbour in order to put out a fire" aka The Lend Lease Act!

The US navy were also unofficially harassing the Germans and Oil embargos were imposed onto the Japanese! You could say that the US was in the war from the beginning.

Obviously, after pearl harbour was bombed they officially joined in against the Japanease. However, it was Hitler that declared war against the US in Dec 1941 therefore honouring an agreement he had made with the Japanese. Because of this, Roosevelt then had the authority to drop the Neutrality Act and US public opinion was then in favour!

So, to say that the US jumped with all guns blazing and also grabbing the glory is totally incorrect and a wee bit insulting to the US serviceman who sacrificed their lives fo another pathetic European war and ultimately our freedom! Without them the UK may have been: a nuclear wasteland, a Nazi state or a Soviet State...I'd rather have Blair 'n' Bush then any of the former any day!!!

Amazing what you can pick up from the 70-217 book...LOL!!!

Sacha

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

it is indeed, now get back to those study books sacha!

Some might say the oil embargo is actually what caused pearl harbour in the first place, it was a do or die attempt by the japanese, and die they did

you wont find any serviceman bashing from me here, but you wont find me supporting the majority of wars either ;)
    you can choose not to support a war but still honour the soldiers participating in it, they are just doing thier jobs

18. drum_dude

Japan was in the grips of an Militaristic Govt, their expansionist behavior is what led to the oil embargo. They were warned, but still they entered China and threatened to destabilize the entire region, and they did!

I know the brits had an expansionist streak, but the 2nd World War finished that! However 2 wrongs don't make a right! At least Roosevelt didn't try to appease the aggressor...as opposed to chamberlain…but then again, that’s public opinion for you!

Remember, the 1st & 2nd World War was about our freedom, without the participation of the US we most likely wouldn't be having these discussions freely and openly!

Please remember this is only my opinion, and I do respect differing ones too...I'm not trying to start a flame war...honest! :)

Sacha

19. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

I'll just get me coat. Thanks for all the fish!

Davver :oops:

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

LOL davver, dont worry about it mate, were all good friends here :)